Freezing Grt. Northern beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Can you freeze beans after they have been soaked overnight ? I have way too many- forgot how they swell -- filled my pot and there's not much room for anything else ! :ohmy:

I know you can freeze them after they are cooked

but I'm don't think freezing them soaked and raw would work. Can you just cook them separately and then freeze?

Lizannd said:
but I'm don't think freezing them soaked and raw would work. Can you just cook them separately and then freeze?
Yes I can using two pots ! I have never soaked 2 lbs. before- alot of beans here. lol Thanks for you suggestion ! I just wanted to bag some up and freeze-:(

Freezing the beans doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but I don't know a thing about the science --AND, I'm not where my "Cookwise" is right now.

If you have that book, I'd consult it before proceeding... or do you have the Harold McGee, On Food and Cooking?"

I tried to find a web site for Shirley Corriher, but all I found was this link: http://www.iceculinary.com/news/article_21.shtml

cook them with ham or soup bones and herbs etc...cool and freeze. Then use in your next soup stew or baked bean dish. Beans freeze fine.

Barb I've never frozed beans that have only been soaked but I've frozen all types of cooked beans. I've never had a problem with taste or texture when I've thawed them. In fact, one of our favorite baked bean recipes makes a lot, so I freeze in manageable portions. Freeze on, girl!:)

Two pounds IS a lot. And yes, you need a larger pot.
I think freezing them after just soaking will make them turn to puree when thawed and cooked, but I have no personal experience.
Do you have a pressure cooker? You could cook two batches real quick.

Gretchen said:
Two pounds IS a lot. And yes, you need a larger pot.
I think freezing them after just soaking will make them turn to puree when thawed and cooked, but I have no personal experience.
Do you have a pressure cooker? You could cook two batches real quick.

I think her beans have been cooking since about 11:15 best I can tell from her post above. She intends to cook them and freeze part for baked beans.

Yep, in two pots. Good enough. But as I have posted elsewhere, I am LOVING my PC--two batches-30 minutes each. Just an FYI in general.

Soaked beans will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. You need not cook all the beans at one time. I'd make a batch now and make another batch using a different recipe in a few days. I'd be very concerned that freezing soaked beans will break the cell walls down and make the beans very mushy when thawed and cooked. I like texture to my beans.

Aurora said:
Soaked beans will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. You need not cook all the beans at one time. I'd make a batch now and make another batch using a different recipe in a few days. I'd be very concerned that freezing soaked beans will break the cell walls down and make the beans very mushy when thawed and cooked. I like texture to my beans.

She is going to freeze once cooked as they are already cooking. There's frozen beans of all kinds in the freezer section. I wonder how those manufacturers do it....or if certain beans are more easily frozen than others?

ok - check out this site.

Ham & Bean Soup

Can I freeze Ham & Bean Soup in a vacuum sealed bag and will the end result be a disaster. Will the beans become mush and not worth ever freezing. :chef:

Bean soup freezes wonderfully! Should not be a problem.

Welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom