Freezing leftover cooking "juices"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Last night I did some seasoned country ribs and a couple different veggies in the pressure cooker with chicken broth as the cooking liquid. I ate. I plated the leftovers. I poured the cooking liquid into a container and stuck it in the fridge.
Soooo, what can I do with it?
Can I freeze it as is and use it as a soup stock later?
If I want gravy, can I turn it into a gravy later, or should I turn it into a gravy now and then freeze it?
Can I freeze it in a container, then plop it into a vacuum seal bag for longer keeping?

I'm tired of wasting this stuff just because I don't feel like using it up at the time or the following day.

:) Watchya think?

Super. That's what I was hoping to hear.
Just gotta remember to label it his time so it doesn't become a freezer mystery.

LOL... I did that yesterday.
I sorta get too busy to mark my freezer containers.
I thought I was thawing plain ol chicken broth.... turned out to be turkey drippings I had saved for gravy..
Good thing it wasn't too thawed before I could exchange. Now I can make myself a bowl of gravy when I'm done with this dumb diet!

Divide it into amounts that you might use if you want to use it for gravy, if you have more than you would use for that, then freeze, bag and tag.

That way - you can use your "stock" for anything you want in the future instead of being locked into a bag of frozen gravy (which could break on reheating) or a single type of soup.

One of the nice uses for the silicon muffin pans is for flash freezing various fluids and foods, which can later be popped out very easily and placed into ziploc bags.

One of the nice uses for the silicon muffin pans is for flash freezing various fluids and foods, which can later be popped out very easily and placed into ziploc bags.

Good tip. Thanks

I never throw out perfectly good leftover sauce no matter what kind it is. There will always be a use for it. I freeze it too. The sauce from the ribs you made can be used again for any pork, beef or chicken dish, especially in the crockpot. It will make a much more intensely flavored gravy and will add a new dimension to the dish. But I would strain if first adding a little water so that you can take out the veggies. They will become really mushy.

I love doing mussels and clams in a broth of garlic, tomatoes, wine, clam juice, tabasco, lemon zest, parsley and a couple other ingredients. I use the leftover broth for clam chowder (Manhattan style) and you can't believe how good the soup becomes. Sauces and gravies are just too good to throw out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom