"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Freezing pre made dinners

Hello all I am new here and have a question about freezing pre made dinners. I have a surgery coming up on Friday, and I am making and freezing as many dinners as I can. ( I am the only one that can find the stove ).I am unsure on certain things like homemade mac & cheese and baked ziti. I have already made stuffed shells I know I can freeze those, and I am doing stuffed cabbage. Any help on the mac & cheese and Ziti would be great, and any other ideas for meals would be appreciated Thanks and have a great day. Kelly

Old 09-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
see here for the mac and cheese...I dont know about Ziti cuz I just dont know what it is ....hope this helps...welcome to the boards btw....

Freezing Mac & Cheese?

Old 09-06-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

kelly:

Welcome to DC. You're going to like it here.

Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. I'm sure all will go well.

You should have no problem freezing the baked ziti. If the mac and cheese is the baked variety, that should freeze well too. Stove top mac and cheese could suffer a little in texture but will still taste great.

Chili freezes well as do most soups. Also stew and lasagna.

You could make a batch of tomato sauce and freeze that. Of course, someone would have to find the stove to cook some pasta.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much I'm off to the kitchen now.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
split pea soup

2 cups green split peas
8 cups liquid. I used 4 cups chicken broth
and 4 cups water but, feel free to use what ya want.
1 pound bacon, most of the fat removed
2 carrots, diced small
1 large onion diced small
3 pieces of celery (including leaves) diced small
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Remove fat from one pound bacon, dice in small chunks. Fry.

Remove all but a tablespoon of grease.
wash peas.
Put everything in to a large pot.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for an hour or until peas are soft. Stir often. I always kind of squish my peas and veggies. Yummy! You can add more veggies or leave some out. It's all up to you.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

pdswife Pea soup

Thanks so much for the recipe it sounds great (comfort food) I love pea soup, and it just so happens that the rest of the gang does too, except my 8 yr old that will be her mac and cheese day. Thanks again pds have a great day. Kelly
Old 09-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #7
Master Chef

I like potatoes in my split pea soup, too, pds.

Kelly, you might also stock up on a few convenience foods. Campbell's Chunky Soups has some delicious flavors that are great for lunch, and are a lot healthier than a lunchmeat sandwich! Should be easier on your tummy after surgery, too.
Kraft Easy Mac takes 3 minutes in the nuke, and tastes pretty darned good. Sometimes I add half a can of tuna to it. (feed the rest to the cat.)
I have frozen just about every kind of leftover, including cooked spaghetti. The only thing I haven't been satisfied with is beef stew...the gravy suffers in texture and the potatoes get a little mushy.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
Master Chef

Welcome to DC, kelly! I've frozen ziti many times without a problem. I just make sure to cook the pasta to less than al dente (about 5 minutes, tops, if water is boiling), assemble the pan, top with cheese and then freeze--I don't bake it first.

Good luck with your surgery!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly
Thanks so much for the recipe it sounds great (comfort food) I love pea soup, and it just so happens that the rest of the gang does too, except my 8 yr old that will be her mac and cheese day. Thanks again pds have a great day. Kelly
You're very welcome Kelly!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:16 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thank you PA BAKER

Thanks PA BAKER. I believe I saw your picture while bopping around the site, and I think you have the nice round baby belly. ( forgive me if im wrong ).If it is you congratulations. Ok then thanks for the ziti tips I am doing ziti tomorrow that is the last cooking day before I am off to surgery It's only a one day thing but 3 weeks of doing nothing . Life is throwing me a lemon and I plan on makin lemonade.