Frying or cooking with extra virgin olive oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
Can you cook or fry with extra virgin olive oil? It is often said that it's not healthy due to its low smoke point, but I've heard other people say it is possible. And do you have any recommendations as to other oils that are healthy and I could use for cooking?

Last edited:
It's possible, just not the best option. EVOO has a low smoke point (about 350F-375F) so high temperature cooking methods will cause the oil to break down and smoke. This introduces off flavors to a dish.

There are other healthy options such as regular grade olive oil, canola, safflower and others.

Thanks Andy. I should add that I prefer buying quality organic oil. But unfortunately if they are unrefined and organic at the same time, they have a very low smoke point.

Last edited:
Yeah Andy is right on. Also the flash point, the temp at which the oil can burst into flames, is usually not that far away from the smoke point. That is why olive oil is not generally used for deep frying.

As far as cooking with it, sure. There is a difference between sauteing, or what many of us just call frying or pan frying, and deep frying. When you deep fry the idea is to keep the temp high. You add foods at a rate that will not drop the temp too much. You want the oil at a high temperature. And the food volume is usually less than the oil

With just good old regular pan frying the oil is generally less than the amount of oil in the pan. Putting in the food, no matter what the initial temp, lowers the food and the cooking process keeps the temp below the smoking point.

Anyway that is how I understand why I can pan fry in olive oil but not deep fry with it.

Thank you auntdot, that's exactly what I wanted to know (pan frying/sauteing). I already knew that deep frying was out of question :chef:

Deep frying is not out of the question. As a matter of fact Mario Batali deep fries exclusivly with it. You just need to keep a close watch on the temp.

Yeah, GB, I know. But it is very hard for a lot of us home cooks to be absolutely sure that the thermometers we have are accurate and the phone isn't going to ring when the heat gets close to the smoke point. Or the two year old falls down and has a tooth through a bleeding lip, or, well you get the idea.

Whenever we deep fry we always have fire extinguishers next to the stove. And as an ex-chemist who has lived through a number of fires, I truly understand the danger. But still I do not deep fry in EVOO.

In my opinion, it is better to use an oil that has a better safety margin. At least for most of us. Mario and many pro chefs are wonders. But my practice is to use an oil with a higher smoke and flash point.

Just my opinion.

I am not saying that there are not other oils that are better suited for deep frying. I was simply pointing out that using EVOO for deep frying is not out of the question as the OP had stated.

And you should probably not be answering the phone when deep frying anyway. That is probably not the safest move. When deep frying, your entire attention should be on the pot regardless of the type of oil you are using.

Last edited:
I thought it was the other way around MXKaren. I thought the oil moderated the butter :huh:

GB, I often talk on the phone while deep frying. Sometimes I even chew gum :ohmy:
Whoops, gotta leave. Lots of smoke coming from the kitchen :LOL:

I have deep-fried potato chips and they come out with this beautiful tinge of green to them. I only did that once - I really don't want to waste my good stuff but I had about 5 big cans of it so I didn't feel so bad!

"EVOO" varies greatly as a product there are many grades and qualities of olive oil with different best uses. The lovely thick green stuff (preferably unfiltered) is really not for cooking and is a flavoring oil best applied after cooking. But your standard "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" is a processed oil that is fine cooking/saute and light frying oil.... It does not perform great for hight temp deeper frying as stated

Thing is

"Extra Virgin" has no meaning in the US Olive oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

almost all olive oil sold in the US is labled "extra virgin" now.... except the "light" which is a total scam (not even 100% Olive oil). You have to look closer at the oil itself as the terminolgy is meaningless (not so in europe)

Olive oil is usually the default oil for me. I use it pretty much in everything I cook.For efficiency I usually keep a medium large bottle of middling (ie Trader Joes) quality on hand but my in my Italian-American home growing up there was always a large can of the cheaper stuff for frying and cooking and a bottle of premo juice for dipping and salads

I have been playing around with canola oil for frying and stuff lately so far I like it.

I only ever use evoo for cooking or eating as a dressing, but for deep fat frying I use Re-cycled evoo/meat fats (that which comes off after you finished cooking).

the deep fat fryer never needs an oil change only a filtering for bits that may come off during cooking, I just add the fats/oils that come off meats that get cooked.

so really it`s probably a 50/50 mix of evoo and Dripping/lard.

Actually, while most "store brand" olive oils are meaningless in terms of "extra virgin cold press", anything that is truly imported from places is usually a safe bet. I love spanish EVOO, but before I buy anything I make sure it has the Controlled Product label (um...I totally forgot what this is called from Spain...AOC maybe?). Then I know it's authentic and real :)

Also, I don't really fry in olive oil because I'm not a huge fan of the taste of cooked/fried EVOO. Although if I'm sweating some onions or a sofritto for a sauce, or browning some bread rounds for an appetizer, I'll use it because I'm not interested in high heat.

Finally (and off topic), olive oil is a strange product. You might find one $5/bottle brand that's awesome and a $20/bottle brand that's weak and thin. The best part is: you should experiment with the best ones :)

one can fry in evoo by keeping the temperature below 350*F. or mixing the oil with another such as peanut or canola. One can also use virgin or pure olive oil which are more refined and have higher smoke points.

I'll probably get shot for posting this, I use Pomace from GFS in the pan. Most times I can't see using the good stuff for frying.

And lots of that EVO, PLEASE! EVOO ranges from light tasting to Heavy and overpowering. Unless there is a descriptor such as light flavored or medium tasting attached to EVOO, stating EVOO raises more questions than answers.

I remember a time when OO was something not in the American conscious. As time went on I watch OOs become a subject of great debate, discussions something akin to the virtues of impressionist artists or Ford vs Chevy.

Far as cooking/frying with OO, I've seen numerous different figures with temperatures where degradation of the oil begins. Some charts list some OO as starting to turn in the upper 200 degree range. The only real consistency between the charts is that the 'cleaner' the OO the lower the smoke point.

And so it goes.

I think people over-worry about frying with olive oil. Here in Spain, they use it for deep frying all the time-- they use almost nothing else. And I don't know anybody who keep close track of oil temperature. My Spanish mother in law fries way too often and always uses olive oil... and I've never seen her with an oil thermometer or with a problem while frying.

Olive oil is wonderful and healthy. I say go for it. I almost never fry (or deep fry), but when I do I use EVOO.

Back
Top Bottom