"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

it shouldn't affect nightshades, like peppers and eggplant. but it will get to cucumbers and squash, so sulfur will do the trick.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:13 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Dina, make sure its' not a 'mycorrhiza' before you destroy it! The 'myco' is a very good fungus to have in soil!

Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
How would I know if it's mycorrhiza? I will have to research this.

BTW, just joined a new gardening forum that is full of great information for anyone interested http://gardenhere.com/forums
Old 03-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Dina, I tried googling some pictures for you before I posted, but didn't find any clear enough to really show it. I'd put some in a ziplock and take it to a 'knowledgeable' garden center or nursery; they'll certainly know if it is myco, and if not, what you can use to get rid of it.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #35
Master Chef

I just hope I'm able to get some garden out this year. My grandson who helped me with the gardening is in a drug and psychiatric treatment facility for 120 days, and after that will probably be going to a group home. He will not be back for a long time. This is the best thing for him, though. He was on a path to self-destruction.
Kim (hubby) said he would till, and Jesse, my 8 year old GS says he will plant the plants for me. There is one condition...I have to keep it small. I think I can get by on 8 tomato plants and 6 sweet red pepper plants.
Have any of you actually tried planting the plants in straw bales? I am thinking of ways to cut down on upkeep. We always mulch thickly with straw, but still get some weeds, and I am not able, and nobody else is willing to pull weeds.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:16 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Constance,
I will be praying for your grandson that his life is soon restored to normalcy. About the planting...try the black sheeting to keep the weeds from growing on your peppers and tomatoes. They work wonderfully for our ixoras, which in fact, they have bloomed beautifully, finally! Except for one-it seems to be some fungus on the leaves. They turning black and the bloom has some sort of powder on it. I'm fixing to take samples of both flower beds to get the soil checked and treated tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I just hope I'm able to get some garden out this year. My grandson who helped me with the gardening is in a drug and psychiatric treatment facility for 120 days, and after that will probably be going to a group home. He will not be back for a long time. This is the best thing for him, though. He was on a path to self-destruction.
Kim (hubby) said he would till, and Jesse, my 8 year old GS says he will plant the plants for me. There is one condition...I have to keep it small. I think I can get by on 8 tomato plants and 6 sweet red pepper plants.
Have any of you actually tried planting the plants in straw bales? I am thinking of ways to cut down on upkeep. We always mulch thickly with straw, but still get some weeds, and I am not able, and nobody else is willing to pull weeds.
Connie, I hope things go well for your grandson. This must be very hard for you..You're in my prayers and I think of you and your grandsonn each day..
You asked about planting in hay bales..I do remember we had a thread on here some time ago, Crewsk put it up and she planted in the bales and loved it..I'll see if I can find it you look too as I get lost rather easy these days

kadesma
Old 03-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Constance, my thoughts are with you; difficult times, but 'tough love' works, and sounds as though it's the best choice.

Gardening and cooking have been my 'therapies' in the difficult times I've had since my son's accident in 1998. Sometimes the only peace I could find was either in the garden or the kitchen. So I'm sending you all my encouragement to get that garden started! Why don't you look into raised beds? Easier to manage, don't have to bend over so far, and weeding is pretty easily controlled with a little mulch.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Constance - a bluebird! Surely that must mean good luck or something?
It did to me, marm. I'd had a terrible day, and was feeling low as a snake's belly. Seeing the bluebird come back felt like a promise of better times to come.

Thank you for your prayers, dear friends.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Constance - .

My peas are up! As well as all of the greens(mesclun, kale, mustard, spinach, beet greens, arugula, frisee)! Just planted tomatoes, scallion sets, zucchini/yellow squash, eggplant, and green beans. Now that we have a digital camera, I'll have to get DH to take a pic of it, and post it!