"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Garlic & cinnamon

recently i've been on a much tighter budget and been cooking more at home. i've discovered the flavors of garlic and cinnamon have an incredible effect when mixed together: strong, sweet, zesty. i - to the best of my knowledge - have never tasted the combination of these two before. however (as strange as this may sound), i cook with the two of them together every day since discovering the mixed flavor. i typically use them on pasta, lightly pan fried with veggies.

does anyone have any experience using these two spices together? are there any regional types of cooking that use these two together? the only thing i could possibly compare would be the flavor of cincinnati chili or the flavor of mole sauce (but neither truly taste the same as this).

Old 01-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

This is traditional flavour combination for East kitchen, I like sweet meat with mango-garlic sauce wich contains cinnamon.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I used this combination very often. I actually just made a pork stew last night that had both of these flavors. They work very well together.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Both cinnamon and garlic often go into the curry dishes I make, but along with many other spices. I can't recall cooking anything with cinnamon and garlic alone as the dominant flavourings. Can you tell us a little more in detail what you do with them? I am very curious.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

it's an inexact science right now. typically i'm cooking some broccoli and spinach on high heat in olive oil for about 5 mins. then i'll add in my pasta, cook for about 3 mins. i'll crack an egg into the mix, to fry up onto the pasta like an asian noodle dish. then i'll add my garlic, cinnamon, and sometimes ginger (i say sometimes because i experimented leaving it out and it doesn't change the flavor much). sometimes i'll add (ok it's getting strange) salsa, cheddar cheese, or parmesan cheese right into the pan. however, i've experimented leaving any of these out and the unique combo of the garlic and cinnamon remains fairly unchanged. are there any traditional dishes that sound similar to this?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

If it does not change the flavor much then try adding a little more. Have you considered adding some nutmeg as well?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
If it does not change the flavor much then try adding a little more. Have you considered adding some nutmeg as well?
i would if i had some! what sort of effect would the nutmeg have?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Nutmeg would play well with the spinach. It has a sort of sweet taste, but does not make things taste sweet per say. It could have the affect of having someone taste your dish and say that there is a flavor in there that they just can't pick out, but they like it.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Cinnamon and garlic also appear together in a number of rub recipes for smoking pork and beef.

JDP
Old 01-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Nutmeg would play well with the spinach. It has a sort of sweet taste, but does not make things taste sweet per say. It could have the affect of having someone taste your dish and say that there is a flavor in there that they just can't pick out, but they like it.
great advice. i have found that adding sweeter flavors makes the spices bolder, for example i've used a sort of teriyaki / bbq sauce for the finished dish and it seems to bring out the spice combination much better.