Garlic Lovers...Look at This!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
You are a garlic lover as much or more than I am since you are here!
So let's share ideas and make this a go-to garlic thread!

I haven't found a dedicated garlic thread, and I don't know if this is even the correct forum for it, but...here's for trying, right?

I once heard someone on food network tell how to make garlic paste. I dont remember how exactly...i think it was roast it then mush it?

I have a recipe for shephards pie and when you cook the potatoes for the mash you put in about 8 garlic cloves (unpeeled). They go all soft and yummy. Then you mash them into with the potatoes to put on top.

I have roasted garlic in olive oil for 2 hours at 200* and ended up with a garlic paste! Makes a great spread for garlic bread!

Angie said:
I have roasted garlic in olive oil for 2 hours at 200* and ended up with a garlic paste! Makes a great spread for garlic bread!
That's what I'm talkin' about!

Oh! I can smell the garlic now. Making me wanna roast some garlic today. I use alot of garlic but could always use it more and in different ways. Love it in mashed potatoes. Garlic spread is something I have not made but will, YUM!

A question to all fellow garlic heads!!

I love the taste of raw garlic, on certain things cooked garlic just don't cut it, there are times raw garlic is an absolute must for some recipes.
However, of course, you must suffer the infamous consequence afterwards.
I am not sure if I am the only one feeling this way, it bothers ME even before worrying about other people around me, tasting it constantly for the rest of the day and night (and it is not anywhere as pleasant as it tasted when I was eating it), and being madly thirsty.
Has anyone found any effective neutralizer to solve this problem? Just curious, I am not surprised if no one has as yet... IMHO that person, if exist, deserves a nobel prize!!:rolleyes:

I can think of two kinds of garlic paste. One is the aforementioned roasted garlic, then mashed into a paste. I love that stuff. The second is more of a culinary technique they teach us in school. Smash the clove, peel, then chop it as finely as possible. Pour on a little bit of salt, and using the flat side of your knife, run/slide the mixture against your cutting board until it's macerated. It will not become a "paste", but the salt grains will cut/bruise/macerate the garlic, and mix with the juices that come out. I usually only use this technique with I'm making a vinaigrette that gets both garlic and salt.

Edited to change: I originally had "olive paste" instead of "garlic paste". How the heck did I manage that one?

Last edited:
The traditional way of neutralizing garlic is with fresh parsley... that's why it's a traditional serving garnish. Personally, I don't think it's a foolproof method.

I love The Stinking Cookbook from The Stinking Rose restaurant in San Francisco. Lots of fun!

I have garlic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and I put some fresh chopped garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in with the oil and let it sit a few minutes. It's fantastic for dipping bread in !!

urmaniac13 said:
I love the taste of raw garlic, on certain things cooked garlic just don't cut it, there are times raw garlic is an absolute must for some recipes.

As long as your spouse/S.O. eats the same meal you are good to go! Just stay in the house for a day.:ROFLMAO:

urmaniac13 said:
I am not sure if I am the only one feeling this way, it bothers ME even before worrying about other people around me, tasting it constantly for the rest of the day and night (and it is not anywhere as pleasant as it tasted when I was eating it), and being madly thirsty.
Has anyone found any effective neutralizer to solve this problem? Just curious, I am not surprised if no one has as yet... IMHO that person, if exist, deserves a nobel prize!!:rolleyes:

Oh Licia, raw garlic does not have that effect on me. I just have a pleasant buzz on my tongue for a few hours and then it fades away. I agree that cooked garlic is just not the same as raw, gotta have the raw stuff!! And as someone else suggested, munching on raw flat leafed parsley would be the only thing I could suggest.

Hmm. The parsley idea works, but do check your teeth afterwards. My husband got in the habit of taking a bunch of parsely in his lunch, and munching on it through the day. I don't know why but this phase lasted about 6 months. every evening he would give me a fragrant kiss, with green stuff between his teeth. you have been warned!

My husband and I love garlic, and use it in all kinds of things.
When I roast garlic, I mush it up and mix with butter or olive oil. It keeps for about a week in the fridge, but seldom lasts that long, as I spread it on bread and add it to vegetables and sauces.
I buy fresh garlic sometimes, but I have trouble keeping it, so I keep a big jar of the commercially minced garlic in the fridge, and use it a lot. Perhaps my taster isn't as sensitive as some of yours, but I like it just fine.
I even use the granulated garlic fairly often, particularly in things that aren't going to cooked that much (like canned soup), or where I don't want the little bits floating around, like white sauce.
One thing I enjoy about garlic is that it really perks up the flavor of foods without adding more salt. (lemon juice is another flavor-perker-upper.)

In regard to the bad breath...it really doesn't matter if those around you eat the garlic too. I know what you mean, Urmaniac, about the after-taste. I've had that problem sometimes when eating a prime rib at a restaurant. But I don't usually have the problem at home. I think your thirst comes from too much salt.

For garlic breath, try chewing on a mint leaf, I haven't personally tried this, but it sounds effective. Usually, I pop a BreathSaver in my mouth. :)

Another diehard garlic lover checking in here. When garlic is called for in recipes, I nearly always double the amount. Also cook it far far less than the recipe calls far to prevent burning. I hate recipes that tell you to add minced garlic to hot oil. Good grief - when will these supposed "experts" learn. I always add garlic later on in the recipe. It always cooks through without burning. Please wake up supposed experts!!! Lol!!! People who are following these dumb recipes & burning garlic end up hating garlic for no reason other than your dumb recipe!

That said, I've enjoyed it raw, poached, steamed, stirfried, roasted, baked - you name it. It's good & good for you!

Another confirmed garlic lover checking in.

We love to roast a head of garlic in the oven. Remove the outer paper, cut a teensy bit off the top of the head (just off the tips of all the cloves), drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with coarse salt. Wrap in foil or place in garlic roaster and put in warm oven for about 1 hour. The cloves of garlic squirt out when you squeeze them and smear beautifully on crackers. Serve with warmed brie on stoned wheat thins. Mmmmmmm!!

Alix said:
Another confirmed garlic lover checking in.

We love to roast a head of garlic in the oven. Remove the outer paper, cut a teensy bit off the top of the head (just off the tips of all the cloves), drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with coarse salt. Wrap in foil or place in garlic roaster and put in warm oven for about 1 hour. The cloves of garlic squirt out when you squeeze them and smear beautifully on crackers. Serve with warmed brie on stoned wheat thins. Mmmmmmm!!

simple yet brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom