"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #21
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
We love garlic. I use fresh when I have it, but it doesn't keep to well for me.
We use a LOT of jarred minced garlic. I know a lot of you don't care for it, but we don't have a problem with it. I also use granulated garlic fairly often. I prefer it to garlic powder, as it doesn't draw moisture as easily, and I think it has more taste.
I buy the jarred minced garlic (packed in water) and keep it in the fridge for when I don't have fresh garlic on hand. Works just fine for me!

Old 10-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot
I buy the jarred minced garlic (packed in water) and keep it in the fridge for when I don't have fresh garlic on hand. Works just fine for me!
Give the garlic packed in olive oil a try next time. Even of you don't find a taste difference, you'll get less splatter when you add it to hot oil.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #23
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Give the garlic packed in olive oil a try next time. Even of you don't find a taste difference, you'll get less splatter when you add it to hot oil.
Ah, but I don't use the jarred stuff to add to hot oil. I mostly use it in soups and casserole-type dishes if I don't have fresh garlic Good advice for those who want to saute it, however!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:11 AM   #24
Executive Chef

We had a big tasty salad. I made a breaded, pistachio chicken and threw that on top. Gorgonzola, dried cranberries, avocado, lots of veggies, and a leaf or two of lettuce. lol.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:53 AM   #25
Master Chef

Going back to the original question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticuchos
These powder packages do not carry a fact sheet. Do garlic powder have significant nutrients? How does the garlic powder fare with the real thing in terms of nutrients? How long can I keep the garlic powder in a container on the shelf? It is not listed on the package. I have searched and the results vary greatly. From half a year, one year, two years. Which is the accurate one?
Dried herbs and spices will generally not have nutritional information on the labels since they are used in such small amounts for "flavoring"- not in a significant enough amount that they would alter the "nutritional" value of a dish.

Salts- like garlic salt, onion salt, etc. and herbs blended with salt (like lemon pepper) may show the sodium content - but not always.

How long herbs/spices will last depends on what they are, how they are packaged, stored, and the environment.

A bottle/jar of garlic powder might "last" for 10-years ... although the pungency and flavor will begin to deminish after 6-months ...
Old 10-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone for answering. You all been very helpful!
Quote:
Yes.What were you steaming the garlic in, apart from the pot? A bamboo steamer? Or something else?
Some white glassware (porcelein?).
Quote:
I don't think garlic was the only thing being steamed here. I assume it was to add some flavor to some other steamed vegetable maybe?
Correct. The chopped potatoes. Used only one clove. No taste difference noticed.