"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Good recipes for a Mandoline slicer?

I recently picked up a Boerner V slicer (basically a mandoline slicer) that can produce really nice uniform slices or julienne strips. The slices are either ultra-thin or about 1/4 inch and the julienne strips are either matchstick or about the size of a McD french fry.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has a few recipe suggestions that could benifit from those cuts?

So far I've made French Onion soup - did a great job with the onions, oven-fried potato chips, and slices of tomato for sandwiches and pizza. Also have had fun coring an apple and creating "apple fries" - raw apple cut using the thick julliene insert - for a snack.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

French fries.

Slice veggies for a salad. Potatoes for scalloped or au gratin potatoes.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

I just used mine last night for English cucumber/white onion salad....does a top notch job for those paper thin slices I like. I often use it on cabbage for cole slaw too. I use it for potatoes for scalloped potatoes..nice uniform slices for even cooking. Enjoy, and welcome to DC.....you'll like it here.

PS....don't take chances without using that guard to hold the food for the last few slices. Lost a whole slice of my little finger complete with nail.
Shudder

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Kayelle - SHUDDER... :(

For Christmas we got a couple of Shun knives, and they definitely are lighter and hold a bit different than our Wüsthofs. Hubby knicked himself pretty bad with one of them the other night. I felt so bad for even coming up with the idea to get them in the first place...

I find my mandoline awkward to use. I wonder if it's just a lack of practice or if I have a clumsy one. Anyway, if I could use it properly, I would use it to prepare veggies for stir-fry!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the suggestions! I think scalloped potatoes will have to go to the top of the list. I'm also thinking it would be great for apple slices to use in a pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
PS....don't take chances without using that guard to hold the food for the last few slices. Lost a whole slice of my little finger complete with nail.
Shudder
Definitely been using the guard so far. I've seen a few chefs on TV cut themselves with one and it does look pretty nasty. Anytime I see somebody use one by just palming the veg it makes me cringe a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kur View Post
I find my mandoline awkward to use. I wonder if it's just a lack of practice or if I have a clumsy one. Anyway, if I could use it properly, I would use it to prepare veggies for stir-fry!
Not sure, but I think the V shaped blade on the one I picked up helps it cut more easily.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I wish I could have fancy kitchen gadgets, but my kitchen is just too small :( I only have 4 cupboards. My bf bought the place before he had a gf who loves to cook. So I revel in having something as simple as a meat tenderizer or a cheese slicer...
Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Head Chef

I love the mandoline for hash browns and for slicing veggies for a quick pickle. (When I run out of my favorite store bought pickles I slice a cuke on the mandoline and submerge them in the leftover picle juice. Almost like getting a free jar of pickles.) But you can make a brine yourself pretty quickly and they don't have to marinate for very long before they are yummy.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Head Chef

I use my mandoline for slicing things the dehydrator, Sure makes things a lot faster and easier ,Also make cucumber salad with it. Great for slicing beets and onions.

Josie
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Potato wrapped fish fillets.

Cut an rectangular piece of your favorite fish and wrap it in a blanket of thinly sliced potato. Fry in butter/oil blend until golden brown and crispy.. This makes a spectacular presentation and only a mandoline can make the slices you need.

Here's a link to show the technique: How to Wrap Fish with Potatoes: Tips : bonappetit.com
Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I've just bought one too! I have to check it out. I'm getting excited in trying it. :)