Goulash? A Sort of Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skilletlicker said:
Well Fraidy, like Andy M said, my Pennsyltucky parents called it slum gullion.
We must be related, Skillet, because my family is from Pennsylvania yet when Dad retired we somehow found ourselves in Tennessee! But I still make the European version of goulash. I think Mom made slum gullion once and Dad told her once was enough. :LOL: I make the slum gullion version a few times a year. It's easy and filling.

Fraidy

Last edited:
This thread got me hungry for slum gullion so I made some last night. Since it is just me here this weekend, I have enough to re-heat for the next couple of nights.

I love goulash..........one of those childhood comfort foods. Moms recipe consists of ground beef, onions, green bell peppers, tomato soup, garlic powder, garlic salt, tomato sauce, s & p, worcheshire sauce, ketchup. and a bay leaf......with cooked elbow macaroni stirred into the mixture. We always ate it with just bread and butter.

I've had the soup type goulash and the European style stew with paprika and sour cream and really love them both.

Never in my life have I tasted or even heard of "Slum Gullion".

Hungarian Goulash
2 pounds beef for stew, cut into l-inch cubes
1 medium onion,sliced..1 small clove garlic or 1/8 teaspoon instant garlic
1/4 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups water
3/4 cup catsup
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
dash of cayenne red pepper
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons flour
Cook and stir beef, onion and garlic in shortening until beef is brown; drain. Stir in 1-1/2 cups water,the catsup,Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar,salt, paprika,mustard and red pepper. Heat to boiling;reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
Shake 1/4 cup cold water and the flour in tightly covered container; stir gradually into beef mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir l minute. Serve over hot Noodles. 6 to 8 Servings.
Might this be like your goulash?

Glad you enjoyed it, ITK.

I came up with this recipe because my daughter had the dish in the college cafeteria and loved it. She asked if I could make it, so I came up with a recipe. She and I changed it a couple of times before we were able to recreate her memory.

Back
Top Bottom