"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
Sous Chef

So, my neighbor has been cultivating a grape arbor and this year will probably have a nice one that I could potentially get grape leaves off of. She calls them "pie grapes" and they are probably concord or some such sweet varietal for snacking and making pies and jams. Would those leaves work?

Can I just blanch them and freeze them? I'm not sure how to process them. We usually buy them in jars and canning them would be my first choice, but freezing would be fine, too.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I typically blanch mine and then freeze them.

Stuffed Grape Leaves Recipe, Greek Dolmades Recipe, How To Stuff Grape Leaves, How To Make Greek Dolmades, Dolmades Recipes

How To Prepare Grape Leaves For Dolmades (Ampelofylla Yia Ntolmades) - Greek Recipes

The tenderest leaves are at the end of the vine, not the base or in the middle. I'd forgotten that. I didn't harvest them yesterday--I needed to clean the kitchen before I made the rice pudding.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Well, he was just saying the words are the same in Turkish and Armenian and wasn't sure if your family was from within Turkey or not. His family was driven out during the genocide, too, and settled in Istanbul.

I found his mother's recipe for stuffed grape leaves. There are a couple of terms I'm not sure about, but will post the recipe when he can translate it for me. I wish I could get fresh grape leaves for him to make this dish. He so loves it.

Does it require a certain variety of grape for making this? We just buy them in the jar from the ME grocery.

I could never tell the difference between 'fresh' grape leaves and the jarred ones. I buy the jars now to make yelanji.

As I mentioned earlier, dad used to stop at the side of the road when he saw a grape vine. I don't think mom cared what kind of grapes they were. But I was a kid and probably too stupid to notice.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #24
Executive Chef

the only grape leaves i've come across were stuffed with a rice filling and packed in an aromatic oil - a salad bar offering. delicious.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Well--I have about 100 ground beef-pork-brown rice grape leaves steaming away. The wild grape leaves smell like wild grapes (funny that). My DH may not like the flavor. If he doesn't like them, I'll have lots for the freezer. I'm finishing them with a lemon sauce and plan on eating them warm. I won't put the lemon sauce on the ones going in the freezer. I miscalculated the number of leaves needed for the amount of filling--almost made the last bunch of filling into Greek meatballs, but instead I stepped out the front door and went over to the fence and gathered more leaves.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Well--I have about 100 ground beef-pork-brown rice grape leaves steaming away. The wild grape leaves smell like wild grapes (funny that). My DH may not like the flavor. If he doesn't like them, I'll have lots for the freezer. I'm finishing them with a lemon sauce and plan on eating them warm. I won't put the lemon sauce on the ones going in the freezer. I miscalculated the number of leaves needed for the amount of filling--almost made the last bunch of filling into Greek meatballs, but instead I stepped out the front door and went over to the fence and gathered more leaves.

Try some with just a little plain yogurt for a sauce.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

The dolmas turned out quite nice. The leaves did not have the bitter flavor I was expecting from the smell of them when I blanched them and started steaming them. The DH liked them and took some back home to the city. I made a lemon sauce for them, but plain yogurt sounds good too. I have enough left to play with different sauces <g>. Easy to make, time consuming to roll. Be something fun to do with another person. I couldn't decide if I wanted to fold the sides in first or roll up one rotation from the bottom and then fold in. It didn't seem to matter. They all stayed rolled and I didn't roll too tightly because none of them burst. Next time, I will pre-cook the brown rice a little longer (I pre-cooked it for about 10 minutes, next time, I'll precook it for about 20 since brown rice takes longer to cook since white rice). Now I know that if I use four pounds of meat and 2 cups of rice (uncooked measure), I need about 100 leaves. I am going to make some rice filled ones later this week while the leaves are still tender. I am missing some of the ingredients...
Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

My mouth is watering! I'll have to call my sister and get her to make some.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Here are a couple of pics I took--the first is of the stack of fresh wild grape leaves...the 2nd is of the pot ready for steaming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolmas 014.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	11335   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolmas 015.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	11336  

Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #30
Executive Chef

the large, vivid colored grape leaves and nicely turned dolmas, belong in the pages of an artistic food magazine. these pictures are nothing short of stunning!