"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Talking Have all you planted yet?

So have you guys got your garden in the ground yet? I live in central IL and i don't see any chance of frost in the future. In fact its supposed to be 88 for the high tomorrow. I got both my peppers and herbs in the ground today. Was a long day. Here is what i got in the ground:
Hot Peppers:
Orange Habanero
Red Savina (Red Habanero)
Chocolate Habanero
White Bullet Habanero
Tepin
Chiltepin
2 Prig Kee Nu (Thai Pepper)
Rocoto
De Arbol
3 Fatali
3 Cayenne
1 Pablano
3 Hot Cherry
3 New Mexican
3 Jalapeno
1 Guajillo
2 Tabasco
1 Turkey Pepper

Sweet Peppers
2 Yellow Bells
2 Roumanian Rainbow
2 Red Bells
2 Cubanella

Herbs:
3 Genovese Basil
1 Thai Basil
1 Majoram
1 Greek Oregeno
1 Garlic Chives
1 Chives
2 Thyme
1 Rosemary
1 Sage

Now the only thing left is tomatoes and Tomatillos which will probably be next weekend. I also might put in some lemon Grass. Will have to see how things go.

Ncage

Old 04-30-2007, 02:25 AM   #2
Head Chef

PLanted, growing and eating! Its a small job because we only have window boxes and two balconies where we are now, but we have 6 tomatoes, a variety of salad greens, 8 strawberry plants, and verious herbs. Thining the sprouting salads and parsley has been a delicious job. The strawberries are offering up a couple of fruits daily, and the first tomato has flowers this morning.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Executive Chef

It's still too cold here to plant much of anything. It'll be another week or two before I get much in the ground. The herbs (perennials)are coming up nicely though!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Executive Chef

May 20 is my last potential frost date, and I have a healthy respect for that date. I try not set out tomatoes, peppers, onions, basil or annual flowers before that date. In fact, my tomato plants only have their first true leaves.

We have planted potatoes and spinach. We are eating the spinach and the potatoes are just starting to break the soil level. Will soon plant the next planting of spinach and it is time to sow carrots.

The hard freeze (18*F/7*C) in early April killed many things at my place: ornamental crabapple and regular apple flowers, filbert leaves, garlic leaves, mayapple plants, and it really set back the mushrooms.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Master Chef

My DH did plant some onion sets the other day and after all the rain we got, they are coming up already. For us though, it is still to early for anything else.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
Sous Chef

wow ncage!
You've got quite a garden growing. I've planted a few new herbs but haven't gotten to my vegetables yet.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I need to go get some herbs. I'm going to have to do them in pots, as I don't really have any decent space for a garden right now. The backyard is nothing but shade. I do have some wild strawberries growing in two spots.

I want to get another rosemary shrub, and a Lavender. Anything else I probably won't use, or if I do, I'll just go get it at the store.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
Sous Chef

May 15 is the "safe date" around here. A neighbor gave me some tomato plants yesterday which I put in the ground. I am getting itchy to plant some other things tho!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Head Chef

I too have been eating spinach and lettuce, and asparagus. I am ready to plant the tomatoes--put up one row of the cattle panels yesterday. (Instead of cages, I put up 2 rows of cattle panels about a foot apart, with the tomatoes planted in the middle. No muss, no fuss--once in a while I have to poke a branch back inside.)

If this darned headache goes away, I will plant tomatoes and peppers this evening.

And if the light (and my energy level) holds out, I will plant corn and beans and squash and some more lettuce and cukes and . . . . .
Old 04-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

So far, we have 2 watermelon plants, 4 bell peppers, 4 Italian long green peppers, 4 cucumbers (armenian) 6 tomatoes, easter egg radishes, butter lettuce went in yesterday, 3 eggplants,thyme, basil,Italian parsley,majoram, got the grapes all pruned and tied on the grow wires, thinned the 3 peach trees and the nectarine, the peach/nectarine combo tree is next to be thinned.Not sure if I'll put in anything more, maybe some other herbs, time will tell

kadesma