"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
Senior Cook

When I was three, I said I wanted brussel sprouts, then I didn't, then I did. My drunk, mean mother, pushed me down on the floor, and tried to 'cram them down my throat' before family members intervened. I am now 62, and my family still asks if I've ever eaten a brussel sprout. No.

Nor will I.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't blame you, Sherry. That sounds horrible.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
Sous Chef

I think my tastes have changed along with my culinary endeavors. The more I learn about food and what can be done with it, the more broad my palate and food preferences become, i.e. ethnic food like Indian or Lao. At the same time, with the broadening palate comes a broadening dislike for some things as well, i.e. any seafood with cheese tastes abysmal.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #34
Cook

Changing Tastes

I lived with a grandmother who was an excellent basic cook and also loved to try new things. She hated it when we said, "EEEwwww," or "what's that?" when she presented something. We learned to eat a lot of stuff, including vegetables like beets, fruit like prunes, and whole-wheat bread when all the kids were bringing Wonder to school.

I enjoy a wide variety of foods and cuisines. But like Aunt Bea, my favorites are simple. I even adore Spam and Velveeta (or any combo thereof...and Michael Pollan would say this isn't food).
Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that's how my wife is with lamb. her mom force fed her lamb as a kid, so she continually reminds me she won't eat it so i shouldn't bother to make it.
but then i'll grill some lollipop lamb chops, or a mild flavoured , american raised leg of lamb, or lamb shoulder stew, and she loves it.

and then still tells me how much she hates lamb.
When my mom was a kid she knew a man who refused to eat lamb. He said that when you go to slaughter other animals they put up a fight, but lambs just look up at you and don't fight. Little did he know that the "pork" roast his wife made (and he loved) every Sunday was really lamb.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #36
Executive Chef

absolutely; I am much more interested in a wide variety of seasonal veg. and I have lost much of my interest in sugary items.