Hello, my name is Bob and I am a Jar Saver....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I save jars too - from small glass spice bottles to one-gallon jars that I've gotten from a local deli (they originally had pickles in them, I think). I think glass is the perfect container for many foods.

I use larger jars to store whole grains and dried beans. Medium size jars I use for dried fruit and vegetables (like sun-dried tomatoes) and for home-milled flour. (I could use "zip-lock" plastic bags but I like the idea that I'm not contributing non-biodegradable bags to my local land fill.)

When the holidays approach, I make spice blends, pesto, lemon curd and homemade chutneys for gifts - and I use all those small jars I've saved. They always are welcome gifts.

Color me a confirmed glass recyler!

With a toddler in the house I prefer plastic. My mom used to save all manner of jars and plastics. Probably because my brother and I had lost countless tupperware containers. And mom always canned lots of vegetables from the garden.

I'm glad this thread came to the fore front again. I just cleaned and put away a newly emptied plastic quart container.

I need to get that out of the cabinet and toss it. :(

Saving bottles helped me win a battle with my DH. He couldn't find the salsa in the fridge and I insisted that we had finished it--he was sure that I had tossed it---then knowing that I saved all jars, as containers cost you your first born child in Kazakhstan, he went searching through my jar collection. Sure enough, there was the clean salsa jar waiting to be used. END of argument. When is the next meeting???????

Friday we had wonderful appys with the most wonderful wasabi caviar. I saved the little tiny jar (thinking I could manage it on the boat). Sure enough Saturday I had some spice rub left over from dinner prep. That little tiny jar was perfect. Of course we also spent yesterday looking for a 1.5 gallon container for some lightly used peanut oil. All the jars are in storage!!!! DH had to run to town and by bottled water to get the containers.

The next meeting should be soon! It looks like I might be back at it!!!!!!:LOL:

I'm not sure I want to come to the next meeting!! Youngest daughter gave me some more jars/bottles last week!!! Of course she does not save them for herself!! She saves them for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shunka said:
:ROFLMAO: I thought I was the only one with this affliction!!! :rolleyes: I know that I picked up this habit from my grandmother, whom also never met a jar she didn't like!!!! Shoot, even neighbors have started saving jars to give to me (I'm in deep trouble here, lol!).

I can relate to this. Aside from my grandmother's propensity for bottle and jar collecting, it turns out she also saved pill bottles and baskets. After she died, I had the job of cleaning out the attic when I moved into her house. There were 4 large boxes filled with prescription pill bottles dating back over sixty years! I guess you never know when you'll need several gross of small containers. <G> The only thing thing that seems to have rubbed off on me is the bottle thing. I got rid of most of hers (saved the antiques), and promptly started my own collection. Anyone need some baskets? I need the room for my bottles!

....guilty :( But I only keep the oddly/unusual shaped ones.....and others not so odd or unusual! :blush: What is the deal with that? I have used some to hold my spice rub for chicken when I make a big batch at the beginning of the season, others for vinaigrettes, others for flavored vinegars or oils that I intend to use right away. I use a lot of dry sherry and marsala when cooking so I keep the tops to those in..........:eek:.........another jar, along with other various sizes of corks. JA - I need a meeting BAD!

Last edited:
My Grandmother used to save pill bottles too, but she used them for her crafting supplies; sequins, pins, beads, etc. My MIL used to save them too, then she would raid our office supplies when we were out on a call and stuff them with paper clips, staples, & whatever else she could find that she thought she needed and would fit in the pill bottle.

:wacko: :huh: :)

kitchenelf said:
....guilty :( But I only keep the oddly/unusual shaped ones.....and others not so odd or unusual!

Me, too. But like kitchenelf, I mostly save the oddly/unusual shaped ones. I also save vanilla bottles because I make my own vanilla and like to give it as gifts at Christmastime. I also like to save unusual or particularly beautiful wine bottles. I have a wine rack in my kitchen that, instead of wine, has nothing but bottles of different vinegar. We use lots of vinegar - lots of different kinds - here and I needed the cupboard space for other things. Our kitchen is very low on space and one step above a campfire when it comes to being the least bit modern. I also like to save the quaint mustard jars and use them to put homemade mustards or preserves for gift baskets.

Back
Top Bottom