Help me use my new gear (skillets)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subterfugue

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone. I wanted to know if anyone had any good, simple things I could whip up in my new 12-inch cast iron pan and 14-inch, oven safe skillet? I'd appreciate it. I'm rather new to cooking but I do enjoy it a great deal so this Christmas I decided to request kitchen tools instead of the usual video games and DVDs. Also, I've heard that you have to be careful when washing/cleaning cast iron pans. Can someone perhaps extrapolate on this? Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone in who can offer up some recipes for me.

You can cook anything in cast iron that you can cook in any other cookware, only better. ;) As I've said before all of my cookware with one exception, is cast. Some enameled Le Creuset, some Lodge black. The important thing to remember is it has to be seasoned properly or you'll have problems. DON'T EVER use soap unless your pan is enameled, or you'll have to season it over again. Get yourself a good stiff brush and use it with very hot water to scrub the pan clean. And whatever you do , make sure the pan is comepletely dried or it will rust right before your eyes. I put mine back on the burner for a minute while rubbing with a very thin coat of Crisco. It takes very little effort since nothing will stick to a cast iron pan that has been used enough. The more oven use it gets, with fat of some sort, the better it will get.

One of the best uses for my 12 or 14 inch pan is to roast beef and chicken. It does a great job and the fat from the meat plus the oven temp gives the pan it's patina that is so desired. Good luck. Just remember too that while it takes a while to heat cast iron, it stays hotter longer so watch your stovetop temperatures.

I agree with DramaQueen. Try baking some cornbread in your cast iron (heat the pan, add some crisco, then the batter, then into the oven it goes!). I love roasting in cast iron, as once it's done, you can remove the roast to a carving platter to rest, and deglaze the pan straight on your stove-top to make a most excellent gravy.

Back
Top Bottom