"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

that was sort of my point. i truely derive almost no pleasure in cooking things that only i will enjoy. to me, it's about seeing my family and others dig in and fill their bellies with something i created from scratch with my own hands. even better if i grew or caught/slaughtered the ingredients. i guess it's along the same lines as a woodworker giving a gift of a beautifully turned bowl to a person who loves salad, or a painter giving a work to his muse of perfectly captured light as it filters around her figure.

lol, but mine is only food. nuttin' that special.

my son, only 6, would eat processed and/or packaged foods without a second thought if that's what we fed him. thankfully, he still prefers what we make and now wants to know if something is healthy or not. he loves burger king, but realizes from our teaching that it's a pleasure only to have once in a while. if given the choice, though, he'd rather have "daddy's special cheeseburgers", which are simply medium rare, freshly ground burgers topped with garlic and herb boursin.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
Executive Chef

It's tough to beat 'fresh' ingredients. Stabilizers are not particularly nutritious.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #13
Head Chef

It is becauseof this that i usually serve 2,3 or even 4 things for dinner sometimes. Ill spend my day off preparing a great ( or at least i think it is ) home cooked meal, fresh ingredients from the garden... and the kids just want one of those ramen noodle soups. It baffles me and leaves me in disbelief, but i wont fight with them. I ll make a 3 cheese mad & cheese with white wine, mushrooms.... and the kids will cry unless they get the kraft mac & cheese ( sponge-bob shaped macaroni ) . I cant compete with spongebob. Fresh vegetable soup (%90 ingredients picked moments before cooking). MY daughter breaks open a can of campbell's condensed vegetable soup, straight from the can, not heated up, no additional water added . I just ask myself " why"
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #14
Master Chef

Oh, I don't mean that I never use convenience products, and now that I don't live near family the subject never or rarely comes up. I don't get upset about it, either. I married a man who loves my cooking, so that isn't an issue, and my parents and sisters love nothing more than Claire coming to town and cooking a big meal. It is my brothers-in-law and nieces and nephews who would just be as happy if you opened a jar. Since I no longer live near them it is no longer an issue, and sincerely it wasn't the half-dozen years I did. It would just strike me as funny because I cooked for my parents at least once a week, and whichever family members were around would be there. It just interested me that some would look at fresh-from-scratch stuff like it was from another planet and plainly not care for it. My sisters and parents still think heaven has arrived when I go to Florida and start in on Mom's kitchen. The children preferring prepared foods is actually a blessing, since Mom isn't as strong as she once was. I just find it interesting that there's a generation of kids who are growing up with sauce from a jar ... it is something I bought once, tasted, and I swear it tasted like something you'd eat for desert.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
It is becauseof this that i usually serve 2,3 or even 4 things for dinner sometimes. Ill spend my day off preparing a great ( or at least i think it is ) home cooked meal, fresh ingredients from the garden... and the kids just want one of those ramen noodle soups. It baffles me and leaves me in disbelief, but i wont fight with them. I ll make a 3 cheese mad & cheese with white wine, mushrooms.... and the kids will cry unless they get the kraft mac & cheese ( sponge-bob shaped macaroni ) . I cant compete with spongebob. Fresh vegetable soup (%90 ingredients picked moments before cooking). MY daughter breaks open a can of campbell's condensed vegetable soup, straight from the can, not heated up, no additional water added . I just ask myself " why"
I feel your pain, Larry. I've been through that too. If you're lucky, they'll change with time.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Cooking is my hobby too. When I was working full time, most of the time I'd come home from work and cook because I liked to, and because it relaxed me. 99.5% of the time I cook what I want to cook, but I rarely serve the same meal more than once every three weeks because my husband likes variety.

I don't make homemade noodles because after following the recipe and process exactly they ones I made tasted just like the ones from the package. Oh well.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I cook for the family, not for me. When they are gone, it's ramen night for me. I guess I get very little satisfaction by please'n myself.(slow pitch for someone to knock that right outta the park)

Sometimes it's good to have the "crap", fast food, jar/can, etc cause kids(and adults) like it sometimes. But to really light up their faces I use fresh and they know the difference.

I can tell when they get bored w/what I make, ie made the same way. That is when it gets fun and challenging to come up w/another way to make them happy w/the same main ingredients. I don't come across the new "home runs" often, but that is what keeps ya go'n. make'n the same thing the same way is boring and no fun.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
...Ill spend my day off preparing a great ( or at least i think it is ) home cooked meal, fresh ingredients from the garden... and the kids just want one of those ramen noodle soups. It baffles me and leaves me in disbelief...I just ask myself " why"
I took my 10 yr old daughter to an upscale restaurant, linen tablecloths, fresh flowers, and she wanted lobster tail like I had just ordered. I threw caution to the wind...or is that $$ to the wind...and ordered one for her too. When the waiter placed hers in front of her, she looked up and politely asked, "Do you have any Ketchup?"

Good grief.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

because i live alone, i am cooking for me. when i first was alone, i would just grab whatever. if it was premade, so what, just cooking for me. then i realized i enjoy cooking and started making good food for myself. it is hard to do sometimes and makes me a more creative cook. i enjoy cooking, from start to finish, thinking what to buy and buying it and preparing it. now i do love to cook for my family. i do pretty much from scratch when they are here to eat and when i take a dish to a family gathering. they are not however into some of the seasonings i use. daughter didn't like paprika in pasta salad. i felt bad. but they really do it healthy if bland in their own homes. so yes, i cook for myself.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I cook for a large family (9). I cook from scratch and my family likes it. I notice that people really like to eat bland or sweet food mainly because that is what they grew up on. In two income families home cooking is one of the casualties. Even at my own home my wife uses lots of boxed and prepared items because I work and can not always prepare the dinners for her before I get to work.