"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-29-2005, 06:19 PM   #11
Cook

Send a message via AIM to hellschef
cream is cream is cream, i agree that you shouldnt have any trouble w/it as was suggested not to let it get to warm. whip or fredo or a good cream soup, i know its tryen to be cold up there. dairy holds well in the freezer aproxx. 6 months. and the old adage holds, if it smells funny, DONT DRINK IT !!LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT FOR YA.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:21 PM   #12
Master Chef

My mother taught kindergarten for 30 years. One of the things she did with her kids was make butter. Most children have no idea about where it comes from. They took turns shaking it in a quart jar till it made butter, which they spread on crackers.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I've bought whipping cream just to make butter with my gs. He loved it - both making it and eating it.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

what to do with frozen heavy cream?

I have two half gallons of frozen heavy whipping cream. I cook for a church children's program and they were donated. I started with four half gallons. The first one I thawed and tried to whip. The fat is separated from the water and it will not whip even with my heavy duty table top beater. I tried heating the second one to get the fat and water back together, but the fat just floats on top. I got several good suggestions from a General Cooking Questions posting -- make butter, use in soup, fettucini alfredo. Then I found this forum - any ideas?
Old 10-30-2005, 12:54 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

What do you want to use it for? We maybe can be of more help if we know what yours needs are! Warm regards, Lori
Old 10-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I would like to use it for whipped cream. But I am beginning to think that letting my grandkids make butter would be best. It is such heavy cream, so full of fat, that it would be like adding butter to a soup. or pasta dish.

Thanks to everyone for your kind help.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:04 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Well, since it wont whip up, butter might work as you mentioned, or maybe ice cream or frozen yogurt?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #18
Head Chef

Icecream is the best use of frozen whip cream. Make homemade vanilla or any other flavor you like by heating the cream with milk and condensed milk and then freeze in a container with a saran wrap on the surface to prevent icecrystals from forming. I am sure it will be eaten in no time.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I made 1 3/4 lbs. of butter out of the third half gallon of frozen whipping cream. The butter came very quickly, didn't take much shaking. I filled a quart jar about half full of the cream and shook it. Did this four times. My husband and I enjoyed drinking the buttermilk. It was sweet and the consistency of milk, not at all like purchased buttermilk. I gave the fourth half gallon to my grandkids -- they even have butter molds to make it look fancy. Thanks again to all for reading and answering my post. It was fun.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:33 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I made 1 3/4 lbs. of butter out of the third half gallon of frozen whipping cream. The butter came very quickly, didn't take much shaking. I filled a quart jar about half full of the cream and shook it. Did this four times. My husband and I enjoyed drinking the buttermilk. It was sweet and the consistency of milk, not at all like purchased buttermilk. I gave the fourth half gallon to my grandkids -- they even have butter molds to make it look fancy. Thanks again to all for reading and answering my post. It was fun.