"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Whites are better for lighter dishes, including fish and chicken. You can also use white wine with red meats. I'd limit red wines to red meats and heavier dishes.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Master Chef

Those are sort of loaded questions. Used to be the basic "rule" was reds with meat; whites with seafood, but in reality you have to take a look at the bigger picture + what you yourself enjoy drinking.

For instance, there are many strong whites like white burgundy or oaky chardonnay that nicely complement something like a pork tenderloin or chops, just as there are some wonderful Italian reds that go perfectly with, say, spaghetti with red clam sauce or a spicy seafood fra diavolo or cioppino. For me it's always the strenth of flavors in the whole dish that decide which wine will go best.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I tend to cook with the two wines I drink most often, which I end up having leftovers of in the 'fridge. Usually these are Chianti and Pinot Grigio.

I buy cases of an Italian Chianti Classico I like for around $12/bottle, and my standard table Pinot Grigio is a cheap $7/bottle mass-market selection (Yellowtail). Oddly I don't like any of Yellowtail's other wines, but their Pinot Grigio is a good cheap wine.

Some specific dishes I will get a specific wine for however, such as Merlot with berries, or Chardonnay for butter sauces.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
Master Chef

I, too, would go with a hearty red wine, something you are putting on the table with the dish (or maybe a less expensive version of it, but NOT "cooking" wine). For guaranteed results cooking I like fortified wines. With beef I'd consider dry sherry, marsala, even sweet vermouth ... assuming you like things with a little sweetness. I have no sweet teeth at all, but still recommend fortified wines for beginners (wish someone had told me THAT a couple of decades ago). They are very stable and don't have to deal with the acidic problems you have with some wines.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Fortified wines don't have to be sweet. I use dry marsala and dry white vermouth, both fortified wines, in savory dishes regularly. I use a dry sherry in Chinese dishes. I don't care for sweet wines in my dishes, but that's just me.

I also stay away from oaky and high tannin wines as those flavors are not really food friendly. So I stay away from cabernet sauvignon and oaky whites.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Ruby and Tawny Ports are also good for cooking with most meats. They add a different flavor because of their nuttiness. Ruby Port is lighter and fruitier. Fortified wines have the advantage of keeping longer than still wines, if you are not a wine drinker.

One of our favorite dishes is a hazelnut-crusted veal chop with a Tawny Port/Creme Fraiche Sauce.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #17
Cook

Lot of deserts i cook mix it with sweet wine ... mix with fruit is so delicious

http://www.2day2eat.com
2day2eat is offline   Reply With Quote