"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
GW, are you talking bone in chicken thighs here? I use the grill for my chicken thighs all the time and there's no way they would be done in 8 min. total cooking time. They will take at least 4 times that long.
I know it would take me longer, too, but GW said over a bed of coals and lid on. I can see eight minutes doing it that way. And skin stuck to the grate and flare ups
I always cook my chicken indirect though, so 3-4x eight minutes is probably about right indirect grilling.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I know it would take me longer, too, but GW said over a bed of coals and lid on. I can see eight minutes doing it that way. And skin stuck to the grate and flare ups
I always cook my chicken indirect though, so 3-4x eight minutes is probably about right indirect grilling.
Well, the instant read thermometer would tell the truth of it.
I don't do my thighs indirect.
Next time I do thighs I'm gonna see what it says at 8 min.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Huh? Chicken wings are white meat, aren't they?
Or are you talking New Jersey chickens?
Attachment 12007

OP, horrible in what way? Taste, texture...?
And I agree with Z. Whole wings take 12-15 minutes in 375F oil. I don't think the breast strips should take that long, but I've never tried this either.
rofl, i laughed so hard i farted!

i'd always thought of wings as a little darker than breast type white meat.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
rofl, i laughed so hard i farted!

i'd always thought of wings as a little darker than breast type white meat.

I agree. That's why boneless "wings" never taste as good as real wings.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
Sous Chef

why don't you use "drumettes"?.....the thick part of the wing....they're soooo good
Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #16
Head Chef

I was thinking the same. Split the skin, trim meat off bone, turn them inside out into "lollipops."

I'm not a big fan of fried chicken breast nuggets tossed and masked in overpowering sauces. Having said that, they are good bar food downed with suds. Most of the ones I've had, including supermarket deli offerings, appear to be double-dipped. For a thicker crust that can absorb more sauce, if left in the frig for example.

Also, ditto, don't overcook.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Ok, maybe six minutes a side. I don't really time them. I just sort or know when to check them. And because I'm using a Webber Kettle, with the lid on, the internal temp of the grill gets very hot at first. I use a generous amount of charcoal, and a solid bed. If you cook them much longer, you burn the chicken. I don't seem to have a problem with the chicken sticking. But then again, I use a spatula to flip the chicken, not tongs.

I cook until the juice runs clear and there is no pink in the meat. All I know is that they are absolutely delicious, and everyone who has had them agrees with me. I get requests.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I soak all of my fowl bits overnight in a mix of beer,garlic powder,onion powder and black pepper then bbq smoke for about 2hrs, they come out like this pic. I then dress them in the sauce I choose.Click image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 449.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	12019
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Hey guys thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome!

I'll definitely try dark meat for the wings, as I know that's how the originals were done. I just hate hate hate bone-in wings.

Thanks for the recipe Goodweed, I'll give it a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Snooze,
If your using chicken breasts your cooking them way to long! About 3 to 4 minutes @ 350 degrees should do. Also I would leave out the egg. "Franks Hot Sauce" does seem to loose heat in the fridge, so when eating them a day or so later, sprinkel a hint of cayenne on them.
What is the rationale in leaving out the egg, do you think that contributes to the poor taste? Additionally, what would you recommend instead of egg to make the flower mix "stick" to the chicken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
My question is the same as Pacanis' ... Bad texture? Bad flavor?

I can see them getting soft or soggy in the fridge overnight and I don't think you can avoid that (at least I haven't been able to with my wings or even fried chicken).

If it's flavor, try soaking them in buttermilk if you want to use white meat or try the thigh meat like Bucky suggested. They will be juicier too since they are dark meat like a original wing.
It's both the flavor and texture actually. I wouldn't say the chicken feels soggy but rather it feels harder and a lot less moist and juicy. The flavor is the biggest culprit though, it just tastes mega awful.

I'll give the buttermilk and the brine a try next time I do these. I'd really love to be able to make these the night before and take them to work for lunch or something.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Not to beat a dead horse, but if "it feels harder and a lot less moist and juicy", it's overcooked. So that should be a simple fix.

Typically, there is no egg used in the breading for fried chicken.

As far as the flavor being "mega awful", not sure what that means. Is it "spit it out and throw away the rest" awful, or is it just not great? Because if it's really vile, there may be a bigger problem with the ingredients being spoiled.