"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do they do it and what am I doing wrong?

So I've recently been trying to make boneless buffalo wings and various types of chicken wings at home. I followed a pretty basic recipe (if you could call it that) I found online. Some all-purpose flour, egg, salt/pepper to taste, and evenly sliced chicken breasts.

I dipped the chicken breasts in egg, then dredged them in the flour/spice mix and then threw them in a wok full of canola oil. I cooked them until the oil would stop sizzling (don't know if that's the right word) which was about 10-13 minutes.

Anyway, I put some Franks Red Hot sauce on them and they tasted pretty darn good. I compared them to the ones I usually get at Chili's or other restaurants and they were comparable.

However, here's the problem. Unlike the Chili's wings which I could put in the fridge and eat the next and they would still taste good, my wings were absolutely HORRIBLE, inedible really after they lost the heat/had been refrigerated.

I'm hoping with the information provided someone can provide some info on some crucial step/ingredient I'm missing? Does the awful taste of the chicken indicate maybe overcooking/undercooking? I've had a similar problem (not to this extent) with refrigerating baked chicken and it losing much of it's flavor when I try to eat it.

I'm not a trained cook at all so I feel maybe I'm missing something very basic here. Any help is appreciated!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

snoozechamp,
I am not a trained cook either and I have never tried cooking boneless wings at home. I can experiment on this subject and then give you some pointers. Sorry that I can't more of assistance.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
Executive Chef

A lot of places brine their chicken before cooking it. This adds extra salt which helps the flavor stay even once refrigerated. Overcooked chicken won't taste good once it's cooled. It will be dry and bland. Other than that, I'd need to know more about the specifics of how the chicken doesn't taste good in order to try to determine the problem.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't make chicken wings, but it sounds like frying 10-13 minutes for pieces of chicken breast meat at a high temperature would be overcooked.

Welcome to DC, SnoozeChemp. We may not always have an answer, but we are here to help where we can.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i would try using boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts.

wings are brown meat which holds more flavour than breasts, so a thigh might do the trick.

and welcome to dc, snooze.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i would try using boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts.

wings are brown meat which holds more flavour than breasts, so a thigh might do the trick.

and welcome to dc, snooze.
Huh? Chicken wings are white meat, aren't they?
Or are you talking New Jersey chickens?
Click image for larger version

Name:	bird.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	12007

OP, horrible in what way? Taste, texture...?
And I agree with Z. Whole wings take 12-15 minutes in 375F oil. I don't think the breast strips should take that long, but I've never tried this either.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Head Chef

Snooze,
If your using chicken breasts your cooking them way to long! About 3 to 4 minutes @ 350 degrees should do. Also I would leave out the egg. "Franks Hot Sauce" does seem to loose heat in the fridge, so when eating them a day or so later, sprinkel a hint of cayenne on them.
I think wings are a great bar food or appitizer, Yes Iv'e been to "The Anchor Bar" but IMO they should be eaten fresh and hot.
I use to make them quite offten , not so much any more. Now I find that frying chicken thights is more to my liking. I deep fry the thights (or legs) then mix them in a bowl with the sauce.
The sauce: 1 cup Franks Hot sauce , 1/2 stick of butter or margrine , garlic powder (to taste) and some celery seeds. Bring to a low boil , wisking constantly and pour into a mixing bowl add chicken , mix and eat. Its cheaper then wings and much more meat too.
Joe
Old 09-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

Alternate to wings and tastes phenomenal.

G.W's Smouldering Chicken Thighs
Marinade:
3 tbs. Sriracha Hot Sauce
2 tbs. Tobasco Sauce
1 tsp. Insanity Sauce, or oher favorite pepper sauce
2 tbs Kikoman's light soy sauce
1/2 cup water
6 chicken thighs

Combine the sauces in a marinating bowl, or freezer bag. add the chicken and coat completely. Marinate in fridge for 2 hours.

Fire up the grill and cook over a solid bed of charcoal for 4 minutes per side, or until the juices run clear. make sure the cover is on the grill while cooking.

Or, Remove the chicken from the marinade and dip in flour. Shake off excess and let sit for 5 minutes. Dip in egg, and then in seasoned flour (recipe below). Let air dry for another 10 minutes to glue the coating to the chicken. Fry until lightly golden, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove and enjoy.

Seasoned Flour:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbs. black pepper
1 tbs. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tbs. granulated garlic
2 tbs.chicken soup base

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Alternate to wings and tastes phenomenal.

G.W's Smouldering Chicken Thighs
Marinade:
3 tbs. Sriracha Hot Sauce
2 tbs. Tobasco Sauce
1 tsp. Insanity Sauce, or oher favorite pepper sauce
2 tbs Kikoman's light soy sauce
1/2 cup water
6 chicken thighs

Combine the sauces in a marinating bowl, or freezer bag. add the chicken and coat completely. Marinate in fridge for 2 hours.

Fire up the grill and cook over a solid bed of charcoal for 4 minutes per side, or until the juices run clear. make sure the cover is on the grill while cooking.

Or, Remove the chicken from the marinade and dip in flour. Shake off excess and let sit for 5 minutes. Dip in egg, and then in seasoned flour (recipe below). Let air dry for another 10 minutes to glue the coating to the chicken. Fry until lightly golden, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove and enjoy.

Seasoned Flour:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbs. black pepper
1 tbs. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tbs. granulated garlic
2 tbs.chicken soup base

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
GW, are you talking bone in chicken thighs here? I use the grill for my chicken thighs all the time and there's no way they would be done in 8 min. total cooking time. They will take at least 4 times that long.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Head Chef

My question is the same as Pacanis' ... Bad texture? Bad flavor?

I can see them getting soft or soggy in the fridge overnight and I don't think you can avoid that (at least I haven't been able to with my wings or even fried chicken).

If it's flavor, try soaking them in buttermilk if you want to use white meat or try the thigh meat like Bucky suggested. They will be juicier too since they are dark meat like a original wing.