"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How do You Remove Wax from Veggies?

So, the question is, how do you remove the wax from your veggies, such as cucumbers?

I realize most of the time we don't do the removal thing, but in case you wanted to preserve or pickle something, it would be required, right?
So how?
Dish Soap, Oxyclean, isopropol alcohol, methyl-ethyl ketone?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I've made pickles before and never removed the wax.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I wash all veggies in the sink with a couple TBL spoons of vinegar. It won"t get the wax off but it will make sure they are clean...

Later
Old 04-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I've always used dish soap, seem's to get all the wax off for me.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Head Chef

Never bother.

It has never bothered me on the larger cukes. Just eat them washed with the wax.

And the smaller Kirby type, which most people use for pickling, are never waxed. The wax will not let in the pickling liquid into the cuke if you leave them whole, so it is not an issue.

Course can always pickle the larger ones as spears without a problem.

Enjoy.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

(am I the only one who peels my cukes?)
PS - chopped up and tossed with rice vinegar is my favorite.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm with Auntdot on this ...

The smaller "pickeling" cukes (Kirby's) are not going to be coated with wax. But, you're also probably not going to find them in your average grocery store. I have to get mine from a Farmer's Market - and usually have to make arrangements in advance. Another option would be to buy "organic" cukes - they will not be waxed.

If you're going to use a big salad cuke to make B&B pickles ... you're going to slice them so getting rid of the wax isn't a big deal since they will absobe the pickleing from the flesh side.

But - here is one method to rid the skins of wax: soak for 5-10 minutes in a 1:1 solution of water and distilled vinegar - then scrub with a vegetable brush, and rinse under running water.

There are also commercial products that claim to do this, too ... you'll have to follow their label instructions.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Yes, Michael when I lived in Houston, the farmers markets were the ticket... we now live in northern Utah.
The farmers market does not even open until middle June. Cukes, of any variety do not appear until later in the season.
I found a package of 3, beautiful, seedless cukes at Target for something like $3.50... I don't think so!

So, I will try to wash the wax off the salad cukes and pickle them until the farmers market comes around.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #9
Master Chef

As far as I'm concerned,the only way to remove the wax on grocery store cukes is to peel them, period. But I agree with everyone, above. Buy the pickling cukes when you can get them. Ironically, the only place I can get them for most of the year is that behomath we all love to hate, Wal-Mart. The local farmer's markets often don't grow them to sell even seasonally. For some reason they love their vegetables gigantic and with huge seeds and tough skins. I've lived here for 5 years, and used the same farmers marketers, and asked over and over if they'd pick and sell small cukes and summer squash, yet when I go down to the market, there are these gigantic ones with seeds so big ... well, let's say it's a good thing I don't have diverticlitis, and I am cornered back into chain grocers for produce that could be easily produced here. Yes, I am doing some of it myself, but I'd like to support my local growers.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
(am I the only one who peels my cukes?)
PS - chopped up and tossed with rice vinegar is my favorite.
I peel then also, no matter what they are being used for and no matter if they come from a market or from the garden.