"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've been able to plan our menus well enough that we rarely have leftovers. When we do, they are quite modest and they usually get eaten at lunch a day or two later.

When we have lots of soup/stew leftover, I just put them in a large container and put in the freezer for a busy day or when I don't feel like cooking.

When all 5 of the children were still at home, there was no such thing as leftovers!!

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #32
Executive Chef
make a stew with meat and veggies any gravy or broth and roux, use potatoes to make dumplings or a mashed potato topping (ala shepherds pie)

make soup

make "chili"

make w/ noodle casserole

a lot of the fun of cooking is using leftover creatively. Also you become economical turning that roast into a soup or stew or meat pie.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #33
Head Chef
When I was a kid we ate leftovers every day we never seen a original meal >:-)
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #34
Senior Cook
Wink bubble and squeak

that's what we call it... throw all the leftovers into a frying pan, add some worchestshire sauce, bbq or tomato sauce (ketchup) and fry up resulting in the above. Throw a couple of pieces of bread in the toaster and serve with B & S. Great for the night after the party the night before, if that makes sense. My grandmother was English so I think that is where we got the name for it.
Cath4420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #35
Assistant Cook
My mom always made it with cabbage and onions and my dad said the cabbage was why it was called bubble and squeak.
chelecooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #36
Master Chef
One cook's leftovers are another cook's "prep".

What is left over from Sunday's "pot roast" is the foundation for Wednesday's stew, soup or diced/shreaded roast meat and dumplings, or even a hash.

Speaking of hash - I always bake 1-2 more 'taters than I need just for that! You can also grate or cube one for hash-browned potatoes, dice and brown for a fritatta, turn into potatoes O'Brian ...

Leftover baked/boiled/broiled chicken can be turned into chicken with long grain and wild rice with mushrooms.

I've taken leftover grilled hamburger patties - chopped them up (actually, I just crumbled them up in my hands), added them to sauteed onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms, a splash of tomatoe sauce and/or a tetch of Worcestershire and/or steak/chop sauce and used them for a topping for baked potatoes with a little grated cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

And, that is just a few ideas.

Leftovers doesn't have to be a nasty word .... or a bland meal.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #37
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Leftovers doesn't have to be a nasty word .... or a bland meal.

I cook wayyyy too much just for the two of us, so YES we like leftovers. If it's a lot, we'll save it for another meal or FoodSaver it into lunch size portions for weekday 'no cook' lunches. If it's a small amount, and depending on what it is, it goes into a freezer bag for soups and/or future casseroles.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote