"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How Long Does Guacamole Last?

Hello! How long does a guacamole dip last for? Avacados seem to brown quickly even with little lime juice (is there a difference with lemon?) and I have some Henry avacados ready to go mushy if I don't do something with it. I can't seem to eat avacados straight up because my lips get itchy real bad. :( Any suggestions for simple cooking?

Old 06-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I would never keep fresh guac longer than 48 hours. The sugars start to breka down within a day. The type of citrus used has no effect on how long till an avocado browns up.

As for recipes? I'll include my guac recipe below, but don't limit your avocado usage to guac. Makes great pico de gallo (which actually keeps a little less time, I'd say a day at the most) and other such things

2 avocados
half a juiced lemon
2T chopped onion
1/2t salt
1/4t pepper
2T olive oil

Mash the avocado, add the rest of the ingredients, cover it up and fridge it for an hour before eating

Old 06-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Avocados

In Isla Mujeres, Mexico where we live in the winter, a lot of the cooks leave the pits in, because they think it keeps the guac fresher longer? If you put plastic wrap on your container & seal it up, you can skim the dark layer off the top & use for a couple days. You can also use avocado chunks in salads & in soups or make salsa verde (green salsa).
Old 06-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

The pit does not have any magical properties. What turns the guac brown is the air. If you can keep air from touching the guac then it will stay green. The pit will keep a portion away from the air, but what is more affective is to put plastic wrap over it and push it right down onto the surface.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

If you have a food saver, do the following and it will keep up to a week:

Tap container (with steep sides) with the guac sharply on counter to remove air pockets.

Press a layer of plastic wrap on top of guac, making sure to press around the sides to form a bit of a seal. Press out air bubbles.

Place container with plastic wrap in saver bag and seal. If you don't have a Food Saver, the above two steps will buy you at least 3 days as Clienta stated.

I did this about 2 weeks ago and my guac was good for a week... well, that was as long as I needed to eat it all!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I certainly can't offer any advice on this question. We've never had any left to refrigerate.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh
I would never keep fresh guac longer than 48 hours. The sugars start to breka down within a day. The type of citrus used has no effect on how long till an avocado browns up.

As for recipes? I'll include my guac recipe below, but don't limit your avocado usage to guac. Makes great pico de gallo (which actually keeps a little less time, I'd say a day at the most) and other such things

2 avocados
half a juiced lemon
2T chopped onion
1/2t salt
1/4t pepper
2T olive oil

Mash the avocado, add the rest of the ingredients, cover it up and fridge it for an hour before eating
Sounds yum, I'll have to try that thank you.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Head Chef

Sattie's advice is spot on. Press the plastic wrap against the top of the guac and it will help prevent the oxidation.

Only two of us here and we love guac so need to make it last and the no oxygen near the stuff works well.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Sattie's advice is spot on. Press the plastic wrap against the top of the guac and it will help prevent the oxidation.
Thanks Auntdot!!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

Well - to add just a little to what has already been said, and reinforces what GB said ... what causes the guac to turn brown (oxidize) is air. The only portion of the prepared guac the avocado pit will protect is the portion it is direct contact with. Harold McGee in his book, The Curious Cook, explored this along with other culinary myths and found that a burned out light bulb is just as effective as the avocado pit!

Now, as for the "plastic wrap" - McGee also discovered that not all are created equal, nor are they as effective in reducing oxidation. Saran Wrap is different from other plastic wraps - in chemical composition, thickness, and effectiveness in blocking oxidation.

So, to just repeat what others have said ... make your tub of guac, press a single or double layer of Saran Wrap (yes you can use other plastic wraps but they will not be quite as effective) directly on the surface removing as much air as possible. When it comes time to serve - remove the amount you wish to serve and reseal the remainder. The less amount of time the surface of the "batch" is exposed to air the longer it will keep without turning brown.

It will probably keep for a couple of days ... if you have a FoodSaver and can follow that route like sattie mentioned ... maybe a week to 10-days.