"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How long for great Beef Ribs in Convection Oven

Hi
I just got a Jenair Convection and it says 8 hours at 225 for porkribs..that seems a bit long? I am trying to slowcook beef ribs....can anyone assist?
Thanks

Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I've only found a few that had enough meat to slow cook. I just went by texture. I wanted the fat rendered down and the meat to be pull apart tender. I was think'n they took a good 5-6hrs, similar to spare ribs. But it has been awhile. Take them off too soon and the beef ribs are tough, btdt.

8hrs for spare ribs at 225? I'm guess'n they better be baste'n or they will be bone dry. I like to do my ribs at 235 and they tend to take 5-6 hrs. But I'm talk'n smoker and not conv. oven. So take it for what it's worth.

Plan on 6-8hrs, but go by feel. Good luck!

BTW, welcome to DC.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Senior Cook

A convection oven isn't a very good choice for cooking beef ribs. With the long cooking time and convection air circulation, they'll tend to dry out before they reach proper tenderness. I recommend braising them.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

thanks for your thoughts guys...I made these ribs b4 xmas in my old oven and they were awesome...the Jennair guide says ribs are fine...they do a combo convect/roast feature...I was thinking of covering the roasting pan in tinfoil with the sauce on the ribs and some small slits in the tinfoil?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I wouldn't sauce the ribs until they are done or nearly done. Covering them with foil for part of the cooking process will definitely aid in tenderizing and moisturizing them, but you need to add some sort of liquid. I'd use beef broth or apple juice or a combination of both. In competition BBQ cooking this is called the "Texas Crutch". You can find a good explanation of the technique here: The Texas Crutch: Wrapping Meat in Foil to Tenderize and Moisturize
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Master Chef

I don't like them to fall off the bones. I like to smoke them at 350įF for about 2.5 hrs. on the Weber kettle and sauce when done. No foiling either.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I need to get a Webber Kettle! :)
Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaguy View Post
I need to get a Webber Kettle! :)
One of the most versatile cookers out there.... :))
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Senior Cook

BTW, here's an interesting looking recipe for Korean style beef ribs, foil-cooked in the oven: Korean Beef Short Ribs recipe - Food - Canadian Living

Tags
beef, oven