How to make serving platters hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I've noticed that the heat of the food I serve on the table dissipates quickly. I want to avoid this especially when entertaining. At the restaurant kitchen I trained in before, they had plate warmers above the stove. How can I warm my china platters at home? Can I use my electric oven? If so, what temp should I set it at and for how long? Thaanks!

I microwave my plates for a few seconds... ( make sure you have a glass of water in the micro with them too.)

My husband sets the plates on the back burner of the stove while we are cooking. We have a smooth top range, and the oven vent is right there, so they heat up pretty well.
Just don't turn the burner on under your plates. Trust me on this...I know.

Also, if you have an automatic dishwasher, load the plates into it, and set it at the "Dry" stage, so that it doesn't wash the plates, just heats them up. On some models, this is even called the "Plate Warming" stage.

I would go with Caine as to temp and time but would certainly add a cake pan of water below your dishes (actually, added to the oven as it heats) just to guarantee no cracking. Depending on the age and quality of your china, direct heat, even in an oven, can be harsh. The steam that's created with the pan of water will compensate for that most of the time (like pdswife's suggestion creates). We don't have a microwave so use the oven too, just be sure to have the moisture.
Good luck!

All very good suggestions. Thanks folks! Let's see, my platters won't fit my microwave. I've no dishwasher that's not human (never heard of anyone using these things in Asia). And my stove is gas, so top is definitely not smooth. My only option would be the oven and JM's tip on the water pan is wonderful! My china will thank you for it!

Or you could just pour some hot water over them or let them sit in some hot water...

I place mine in my electric frying pan, put the lid over it and wait a few minutes. Works great and I can set it on my buffet table. ; )

To prevent the plates from cracking/glazing from thermal shock I would start the cold plates off in a cold oven - and heat to 170-250 F - should take about 10 minutes depending on your oven ... and let them sit in there until ready - maybe another 10 minutes? The main thing is to bring them up to temperature gradually - not subject them to a drastic temp change.

Something else you might try, to keep the serving plates hot longer, is to use a charger - a pre-heated metal plate under the serving plate.

Last edited:
I usually warm my plates in the oven, however two other options you could explore:

electric plate warmer - I have only used these for dinner plates, but depending on the size of your serving piece, it might work. It's essentially an electric blanket for plates. waterbridge makes one.

It wouldn't be using your china, but I have a Wilton Armetale serving platter I love for meats. It keeps them nice and hot.

pdswife said:
Or you could just pour some hot water over them or let them sit in some hot water...
That's my TNT trick too :) If you tap water doesn't get all that warm you can fill a sink with it (tape water) and then add in a little boiling water too before you place your plates in the sink.

Back
Top Bottom