I need your best recipes featuring avocado!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooh, that sounds like the perfect match between avo pie and avo ice cream. :yum:

The pie we get is room temperature. I don't think there's cream cheese in it, there may be some sweetened condensed milk involved.

I will continue to pester them for their recipe the next time we get down there.

Last edited:
OK - here's mine:

I LOVE breakfast sandwiches and have over the years come up with several incarnations that include avocado - think egg mcmuffin but better (and vegetarian).

Toasted English muffin
2 fried eggs or eggs poached fairly firm
slice of pepper jack
A few slices of avocado that have been tossed in lime juice. Alternatively you can make a quick mash and incorporate a few squeezes of lime - top with a little chopped cilantro.

Build it:
Bottom muffin half
1 egg
cheese
second egg
avocado
chopped cilantro (just a little)
Add a little hot sauce if desired.
top of muffin

Wrap this in a piece of parchment paper of foil to serve - hand food.

The avocado with the lime ends up tasting a bit like hollandaise. it's wonderful and fast and the two egg stack makes this a fairly filling sandwich.

That's an interesting concept. I've never heard of avocado in Thai food. Obviously I've missed something. Do you have a recipe to share?

We first had it from a local Thai restaurant. It's a Massaman curry with potatoes, then right before serving they add in cashews and avocado chunks. I don't know if he has a recipe that he uses or just wings it when he makes it at home. I'm sure he'll answer when he gets up.

I test drove a seafood recipe before the holidays that included avocado cream and avocado balls (pain-in-the-butt to do). The avocado cream was interesting. I know that avocado is used to substitute for butter or shortening in baked recipes. From what I've read, it is a 1:1 substitution. If the focus of the contest is to use the avocado as a "secret" ingredient, I think that would be what I'd be trying to track down and then see where that inspiration would take me. My first thought would be to look for recipes using avocado instead of butter (maybe some vegan recipes or lactose intolerant recipes). I would also see if I could track down fresh or dried avocado leaves to use as seasoning...and maybe try to incorporate avocado oil in as well. I keep trying to get an avocado "tree" started, but can't seem to get it to sprout. I had one years ago...never knew I could use the leaves...

Technically, the avocado is a fruit. In some countries, it is treated more like a fruit than a vegetable. Whereas rhubarb is a vegetable and is treated in some parts of the world as a fruit...I prefer savoury rhubarb dishes and can go savoury or sweet when it comes to an avocado. I have made the avocado lime ice cream--it was delicious. Now that I am teaching a friend's young lads how to cook (and the family happens to be vegan/vegetarian--some days they eat vegan dishes, other days not--I make a lot of vegetarian dishes, but do use traditional ingredients in a lot of things), I will explore using avocado to replace shortening in baked goods. We have vegetarian sausage on the to do list...testing on how to get the "fat" content in without using beef or pork fat...wondering if avocado could supply some of that...paneer is another option with 11% fat. EVOO, paneer and avocado might be tested to provide the fat content so we don't end up with dry sausages/veggie dogs...but I digress.

Last edited:
MY friend in Brazil makes avocado milk shakes all the time. Other than the milk and avocado, Im not sure what else goes in there. Never got myself to try it though.

Michael Symon posted an avocado/ chocolate brownie recently, but I think the avocado is more for texture than taste, so Im guessing the chocolate would over power the avocado taste, making it not much of an avocado dish at all.

Chocolate Peanut Pie Recipe by Michael Symon - The Chew

Interesting, Larry. I wonder if you could use avocado in cakes or brownies like you might use applesauce, as a fat replacement.

There are so many ideas here for the beloved avocado. :) Some I've done before, some new ways of some old faves, and some completely new ways I've never heard of. I'll be checking this thread often, and I hope that capnkid comes back. :)

Despite their high oil content avocados are amazingly good for you/us so I don't suppose it matters how you serve them.

My favourite way is just a ripe Hass avocado and a spoon.

I don't like the bright green smooth skinned ones very much. They tend to be a bit bitter when we get them here.

When you've used the flesh the inside of the skin rubbed onto hands or elbows or even face makes a good moisturiser.

Martha Stewart was on the Today show this morning, and made a chocolate pudding with avocado. The hosts were all raving about how good it was.

Despite their high oil content avocados are amazingly good for you/us so I don't suppose it matters how you serve them.

My favourite way is just a ripe Hass avocado and a spoon.

I don't like the bright green smooth skinned ones very much. They tend to be a bit bitter when we get them here.

When you've used the flesh the inside of the skin rubbed onto hands or elbows or even face makes a good moisturiser.
Avocado, a drizzle of avocado oil, fresh lime juice, crushed garlic, and S&P is how we often eat them (obviously, with a spoon and cut in half, pit/stone removed). I love avocado oil as a skin moisturizer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom