"Ice Cream"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I know I've seen this mentioned in threads on ice cream before, but I bought a container of Edy's Special Edition "ice cream" today. It didn't even say "Slow Churned" on the package. I was amazing at how insubstantial it was. When I was younger I occasionally liked to freeze Cool Whip and eat it like ice cream. That was basically what eating this stuff was like. It's been a while since I've bought Edy's and I'm not sure I'll do it again. I'll just pay the $10 for a gallon of Kirkland Signature vanilla and add my own mix-ins, or stick to the pints of better quality super-market stuff, that is, until I get an ice cream maker of my own. :yum:

I know I've seen this mentioned in threads on ice cream before, but I bought a container of Edy's Special Edition "ice cream" today. It didn't even say "Slow Churned" on the package. I was amazing at how insubstantial it was. When I was younger I occasionally liked to freeze Cool Whip and eat it like ice cream. That was basically what eating this stuff was like. It's been a while since I've bought Edy's and I'm not sure I'll do it again. I'll just pay the $10 for a gallon of Kirkland Signature vanilla and add my own mix-ins, or stick to the pints of better quality super-market stuff, that is, until I get an ice cream maker of my own. :yum:

ATK did a food taste test of ice cream. Edy's came in at the bottom of the list. Look at the list of ingredients. Most ice cream is made to have a large amount of air in it. Less ice cream, cost more. And so many of them have ingredients you can't even pronounce. Ben and Jerry's always seem to come out on top. The cost is worth it. :angel:

I rarely eat ice cream....and then most likely it is home made....either my home or one of my friend's recipes. Being that tutti frutti can't be found in the stores , that is generally the preferred ice cream although peach ain't bad on a hot summer's afternoon.

Homemade Ice Cream

You are so right to think along the lines of making your own. I grew up occasionally going to the dairy where it was made fresh everyday so naturally I cannot touch commercially made ice cream. When you start making your own not only will you find the flavor more intensely delicious but you will also find even after buying your ice cream maker, it is much more economical.

Just a side note: I spend time in Ecuador where every restaurant makes there own homemade ice cream with their own original banana split. Everyone who goes there and eats these banana splits say they still lose weight. (Fact or Fiction I don't know)

I prefer soft serve but if I buy for home I always get Haagen Dazs. Expensive but it's worth every penny to me! I only eat a scoop at a time anyway since it's so rich :)

Last edited:
I scream, You scream, We all scream for Ice Scream. :)

I don't do much Ice Cream these days. :(

But I always liked "Breyers" Vanilla.

It's simple and didn't have the after taste so many others have.

There's a local ice cream shop chain here in MA called Brigham's. They expanded to selling their ice cream in quarts at local supermarkets. Good stuff. I have some in the fridge right now.

I don't think I've had ice cream in about 1-1/2 years, but I just ran into the recipe I use for banana nut ice cream tonight. I'm about due for some ice cream.

I scream, You scream, We all scream for Ice Scream. :)

I don't do much Ice Cream these days. :(

But I always liked "Breyers" Vanilla.

It's simple and didn't have the after taste so many others have.

Breyers used to be all natural. But they changed their recipe and now add preservatives. :angel:

I am not a huge fan of ice cream in general, but I will indulge in a pint of Haagan Dazs vanilla frozen yogert with the raspberry swirl once in a blue moon.

What I do love are the freshly made waffle cones... :pig: I've always been tempted to ask for an empty cone but have never actually done it. haha

I am not a huge fan of ice cream in general, but I will indulge in a pint of Haagan Dazs vanilla frozen yogert with the raspberry swirl once in a blue moon.

What I do love are the freshly made waffle cones... :pig: I've always been tempted to ask for an empty cone but have never actually done it. haha

I buy waffle cones and baskets and eat them plain or fill the waffle baskets with Greek yogurt, honey and nuts :yum:

I buy waffle cones and baskets and eat them plain or fill the waffle baskets with Greek yogurt, honey and nuts :yum:

NOM...that sounds lovely!

We have greek yoghurt with honey and oat clusters and peanuts, lovely!

Back
Top Bottom