"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Cook

Ice Cream that Can Be Frozen

I know the title seems strange, but here's my issue:

We make ice cream using the recipe below. It's basically just heavy whipping cream with the sweetener and flavorings.

It tastes great. However, if we put any of it in the freezer for eating later, it's hard as a rock. True, we can defrost it, and it's not bad, but I'd like it to be like ice cream you buy in the store.

What changes would I make to the recipe to make it act like store-bought ice cream?

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------

Choc. Chip Ice Cream

Don't forget to start the coffee!

2 c Heavy whipping Cream
24 drops liquid splenda
.5 tsp Vanilla
.5 tsp Torani Hazelnut
1 square unsweetened chocolate, chopped
5 Macademia nuts chopped

It takes about 25 minutes. You don’t need to wait for the ice cream maker to stall, stop when the ice cream sticks to the paddle.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have just started making ice cream at home and I'm still using the recipes in the instruction booklet. The following ingredients make ice cream that is no harder or softer, after storage in the freezer, than store bought ice cream.

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract

I wonder if the use of sugar instead of Splenda makes a difference. They do have slightly different properties.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

First thing I'd check is the temperature of the freezer.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
First thing I'd check is the temperature of the freezer.
Good point. I might store ice cream in my chest freezer, but I move it to the fridge freezer before I want to use it due to temperature differences.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Master Chef

Some of the low carb ice cream recipes call for vodka, sort of an antifreeze.

I would add a shot and see what happens.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Cook

Ah, vodka. Nice idea.

Yes, the freezer temperature is OK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Lack of sugar is the problem. I took a class from Harvard University edX online called Science and Cooking. This very question was one of the assigned labs, and we were required to do a full lab report and all of the necessary chemical equations. I'll summarize.

Most of us are aware that combining salt with water lowers the freezing point of the water. This is why ice cream makers always tell you to add salt to the ice. But sugar also lowers the freezing point, just not as much.

The water in the cream will freeze to a solid at temperatures most of us maintain in our home freezers. But by adding the right amount of sugar, you lower the freezing point just enough to keep it from freezing completely solid at those same temperatures. If you froze your ice cream at very sub-zero temperatures, it would still freeze rock hard, just as if it didn't have the sugar.

Since you didn't use sugar in your recipe, you didn't get the same drop in freezing point. Liquid Splenda has its own specific heat, but not the same as sugar, so the change in freezing point is different. Without knowing the specific heat of liquid Splenda, one can't calculated how much you would need to lower the freezing point.

There are other things that you can add to change the freezing point. Aunt Bea suggested vodka. Alcohol will work, but you have to be careful. Alcohol's freezing point is so much lower than that of water, that the drop of the point of phase change will be much greater than using sugar. Too much, and you'll just get slush that won't completely freeze in your freezer.

I hypothesize that solid Splenda would react differently as would other brands of sweeteners. But without knowing their chemistry, you can't know which would solve the problem, or in what quantities.

If you read the labels on commercially produced sugar-free ice creams, you'll notice they rely heavily on emulsifiers; guar gum, carageenan, food starch, cellulose, etc. These all become more necessary when you remove the sugar.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the science Silversage. I did suspect the lack of sugar. I wonder if the sugar alcohols would have useful properties in terms of affecting the freezing point of water. They are commonly used as a non-sucrose, low carb sweetener.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol
Old 07-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
Cook

Excellent info. I'll try erythritol next time, and some booze if that doesn't do it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 07-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
Master Chef

Also, add a packet of dissolved gelatin to your ice cream base. For my base, I use a natural emulsifier - egg yolks. I use eight egg yolks in a quart of homemade ice cream. Sugar alcohols act much the same as does sugar. But be aware that many of them can cause diarrhea. I use two parts corn syrup to 1 part granulated sugar in my ice cream base, with a ratio of whole milk to heavy cream of half and half.

When I changed my base recipe by using corn syrup, and unflavored gelatine, my ice cream became much smoother, and had a good consistency after freezing.

Remember to take into account any extra water added by putting in coffee, or macerated fruit. Semi-soft sauces such as chocolate fudge (really a ganache) don't affect the texture of the end product, if swirled in after the ice cream is made.

If you use only milk, and freeze your ice cream well in the maker, you will have gelato, which has a more intense flavor than does ice cream. Also, you don't freeze gelato as cold as you do ice cream, which makes it creamier in texture, and intensifies the flavor still more. Also make it less callorie dense.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cream, frozen, ice cream