"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #61
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Since Santa put an Induction range and convection oven in my stocking, my next big "need" would be a self standing griddle to go with the bigger kitchen in the bigger house.

My grandma, what big feet you have....

Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
A walk in refrigerator & freezer so I can expand on my attempts to stockpile & hoard food for the possibility of a famine.
fluff, how are you going to supply power to run the walk-in? i would imagine the power grid would collapse along with normal society if there was a great famine.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
fluff, how are you going to supply power to run the walk-in? i would imagine the power grid would collapse along with normal society if there was a great famine.
I was thinking the same thing. Great minds and all that...

Anybody who is planning on famine and civil disruption should be concerning themselves with preserved food (dried, canned...) and probably should stockpile seeds and locate somewhere with a source of water, then plant crops after society has disintegrated.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #64
Senior Cook

For me it would have to be an electric stove with one burner. Last year during the summer my apartment building was left with gas for 3 months. I was given a cheapy electric stove that broke on the 2nd day.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Julio in civil disruption there isn't going to be any electricity. If I were you I'd ask for a propane stove, perhaps a single or double burner Coleman used in camping. You can use 1 lb. disposable propane bottles or get an adapter and run it from larger refillable containers (again subject to civil disruption).

In the long term you'd want a wood burning stove, and live near a forest. Preferably a forest with live game.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #66
Senior Cook

I would have an original tandoor oven so that I could cook tandoori chicken and naan breads:))
Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #67
Executive Chef

I've been thinking along the same lines, maybe build my own outdoor tandoor some day. I too really love tandoori chicken and naan bread, particularly garlic naan bread.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #68
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've been thinking along the same lines, maybe build my own outdoor tandoor some day. I too really love tandoori chicken and naan bread, particularly garlic naan bread.
If you decide to do it I'll help you build it Greg and we'll celebrate with my chicken tikka masala and you can do the garlic naans

You can't beat mopping up a nice thick curry sauce with a juicy garlic butter naan bread Hmmmmmmmmm.........do I have any curry left in the kitchen
Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #69
Cook

Dishwasher!!....

When I think "commercial" I get the impression of large scale food prep or storage. I would like a 6 burner range....just because (or just in case). It's kinda cramped cooking on a standard 30" range. But, that's all I have ever owned and made do when it came time to can tomatoes or blanch veggies. I spent many hours in the kitchen putting away the crops from a large garden......nothing compares to home grown.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #70
Master Chef

Was only thinking of kitchens. If I had the money, I'd have an outdoor kitchen. I think I've seen some Weber ones that I liked in W-S or something like that. I prefer the taste of coals, but one I saw had a gas hook up to light the coals. An outdoor small sink, one gas burner, stuff like that. My kitchen isn't air conditioned (does inside central a/c count as kitchen equipment?) and I'd just love to be able to sweat outside rather than in.

Tags
cooking