Ikea cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like a marketing idea targeting novice/reluctant cooks. I think it's smart and clever on Ikea's part. Similar to Blue Apron et al, but more interactive. I like it...for someone else. ?

It looks like a marketing idea targeting novice/reluctant cooks. I think it's smart and clever on Ikea's part. Similar to Blue Apron et al, but more interactive. I like it...for someone else. ?

I agree with you that it is a clever marketing tool on Ikea´s part.

( I do not know the Blue Apron ..)

Lovely post ..
Thank you ..

There's really not much difference between a regular parchment baked chicken dish and one you could make by drawing with food safe markers on a piece of parchment, and then folding it up and baking it. One has instructions in a book while the other has the instructions on the parchment. So I ordered some food safe markers to make some of these for the granddaughter in law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjDDUC8QvH8

I think it's a clever idea. It allows inexperienced cooks to visualize the ingredients and proportions, eliminates the need for cooking equipment. It reduces the intimidation factor.

...I do not know the Blue Apron ...
Blue Apron is a home delivery meal kit service. Each meal has everything you need, measured out and individually wrapped, ready for cutting up, seasoning, assembling, and cooking. All of the shopping and much of the work is already done - and, for someone who loves to food shop and putter in the kitchen, all the fun is gone, too. :LOL:

Cooking Goddess,

Unfortunately, with 2 professionals in a household working, it is difficult to prepare meals when working full time .

However, the benefit of such a business, home delivery of meals, for the elderly and even for one´s children could be a beneficial service ..

Of course depending on the quality and naturalness of the food, key points, this could be quite a success ..

Thank you.

Have a lovely day.

Last edited:
I worry about the arrangement of the food on those pieces of parchment. The tomato sauce was all at one end. All the salt is in one place, etc. Doesn't that mean you get no tomato sauce on most of the food and one really salty bit?

I think this is a dumb idea. It doesn't actually teach people to cook, just to combine Ikea's products.

What a royal pain that would be. Laying out 42 cocktail shrimp one by one? All those little pieces of of veggies one at a time? And I agree that I don't see any reasonable mixing of the seasonings unless you shake them up after closing the parchment (a potential mess waiting to happen). I've never bought into the Ikea mystique (or myth, if you like).

I've been in an Ikea once in my life, and I somehow don't feel like I've missed anything. :rolleyes:

...However, the benefit of such a business, home delivery of meals, for the elderly and even for one´s children could be a beneficial service...
I think you misunderstood. The meal is not delivered complete and ready to serve. You get raw ingredients to prepare from scratch and cook for yourself. All it saves is the shopping time, and I read where you pay dearly for that convenience. Not practical for an elderly person or young children.

I don't think anyone has considered the FUN FACTOR here about the parchment recipes. I can see this being fun, for people who have never cooked in parchment, for children doing this with moms and dads, for people that haven't had good luck cooking seafood or fish. Come on, let's go in the kitchen and make some food, I have a cool idea to use these parchment recipes and then we'll eat. We put the pepper here, and some shrimp/fish here, some asparagus here, a little butter here, some salt there, then fold the edges and shake it up, and bake it. Tada, dinner is served and thank you for helping me make it.

I don't think anyone has considered the FUN FACTOR here about the parchment recipes. I can see this being fun, for people who have never cooked in parchment, for children doing this with moms and dads, for people that haven't had good luck cooking seafood or fish. Come on, let's go in the kitchen and make some food, I have a cool idea to use these parchment recipes and then we'll eat. We put the pepper here, and some shrimp/fish here, some asparagus here, a little butter here, some salt there, then fold the edges and shake it up, and bake it. Tada, dinner is served and thank you for helping me make it.

Exactly.... +1..... May we always experience the fun of doing something a bit differently in the kitchen... :)

Ross

Sure, cooking in parchment can be fun, I guess (I don't really enjoy steamed food, but lots of people like it). I agree with taxlady and RP, though, that this method doesn't allow the cook to coat the food evenly with the seasonings. So some bites will be really salty, others have no salt, etc. No matter how much fun it is to make, if it doesn't taste good at the end, it's not helpful. New cooks in particular tend to blame themselves when that happens, even if it's the recipe that is at fault.

I just don't think this is a great way to teach people to cook.

Last edited:
Blue Apron

I think you misunderstood. The meal is not delivered complete and ready to serve. You get raw ingredients to prepare from scratch and cook for yourself. All it saves is the shopping time, and I read where you pay dearly for that convenience. Not practical for an elderly person or young children.

Sorry, I did misunderstand .. I thought that the Blue Apron was a meal on wheels type operation which delivered home cooked already prepared meals to one´s home ..

Have a nice evening.
23.10 Here ..

Oki, what have IKEA ever done for you?
Well this was fun novelty idea and there is no mystic about IKEA, they just figured out before every one else how to sell flat packed furniture here in Sweden.

Yes, it a great market ploy to get people to buy stuff , but which store doesnt try to get their customer to buy stuff they dont need?

Ingvar Kamprad, former owner of IKEA, lives in my province, he pumps in a lot of money into local business , elder care and local sports team. We do like that weird odd ball. I'm happy we have IKEA. And I do have some IKEA furniture, but not as much as the normal Swede.

The blue apron thing, well we had that for over 10 years now. Some one I know started one of the first services here, we call them Matkasse, ( bag of food) and you can get them cheap, luxury, vegan, lactose free, you name it they have it.

Last edited:
Oki, what have IKEA ever done for you?
Well this was fun novelty idea and there is no mystic about IKEA, they just figured out before every one else how to sell flat packed furniture here in Sweden.

Yes, it a great market ploy to get people to buy stuff , but which store doesnt try to get their customer to buy stuff they dont need?

Ingvar Kamprad, former owner of IKEA, lives in my province, he pumps in a lot of money into local business , elder care and local sports team. We do like that weird odd ball. I'm happy we have IKEA. And I do have some IKEA furniture, but not as much as the normal Swede.

The blue apron thing, well we had that for over 10 years now. Some one I know started one of the first services here, we call them Matkasse, ( bag of food) and you can get them cheap, luxury, vegan, lactose free, you name it they have it.

IKEA has never done a thing for me :LOL: I've never been in one and never felt the need to. We don't have to all like the same things ;)

Of course we know that companies try to persuade customers to buy their products. That's not the issue. Some people here think this is a good way to teach people how to cook. I disagree, for the reasons I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom