"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-18-2004, 03:31 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Thanks Jenny, yes, "Sally" is my first dog, my daughter is nuts over her. Thanks for the information. Wow, I don't think hot pepper affects dogs (I have not tried!!) but someone else told me something like that, the dog did'nt react to the hot pepper it picked up. The vet told me after she gets home, she is not to eat anything till Wed. am, and thats just 1 scrambled egg!!!! Depending on my nerves, I just may stay home on Wed with the dog.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:18 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

i was told in order to keep dogs from pooping on my front lawn, just sprinkle some powdered cayenne around. the dogs will sniff it, and it will bother their nose so they'll go elsewhere. well, it didn't work, in fact, now all of the chihuahua's in the neighborhood meet on my front lawn.

then someone suggested kimchee. no good also. but a korean family bought the house next door, must have made them feel welcome...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:33 PM   #23

Try oil of wintergreen...you can get it, waxed, on like a big fusee match (obviously, its not a match!)...

If you want to experience some of the pain yourself, just take a drop of it on your skin...noting that water does nothing to eliminate, and much to spread the burning sensation...and animals feel it exactly the same....

They will avoid your place like the plague...

Lifter
Old 10-19-2004, 01:15 AM   #24
Master Chef

i have a similar cat formula:
for an upset kitty tummy, boil chicken breast or a chicken thigh. save the broth. when it's cool, blenderize it with the broth.
you can add Cat-sip.
(i used regular milk, BUT, my cats all drink regular milk several times a day; they love it and it doesn't upset thier stomachs, but from what i understand, most cats cannot digest it well. so i wouldn't recommend that for any cat who doesn't usually have real milk.)
i also fed him meat baby food and bland instant mashed potatoes and his vomiting subsided almost as soon as i put him on this diet. i eased him onto regular food again, and he was better soon enough.
after a few days on chicken breast, we went to chicken thighs, and i added a little dash of salt and garlic powder. i took all of the skin and fat off so it wouldn't weigh his sick stomach down.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
then someone suggested kimchee. no good also. but a korean family bought the house next door, must have made them feel welcome...

We eat kimchee a lot at my house and both of the dogs love it. They also love tofu and korean dumplings. Schnitzel will eat anything with a carbon atom in it. Mind you, they do not eat very much human food, but want a nibble of most everything and they are no worse for it. Of course, I would not give such things to a pup. Pups have delicate systmes and also are more prone to food allergies and reactions.

Baby food and rice are great for dogs of any age with upset stomaches. Works every time, assuming that the problem is an upset stomach and not something else that is inhibiting appetite.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:25 PM   #26
Senior Cook

We dropped off the dog this morning and they hit us with that they want ALSO pull out 4 of her baby teeth while she is under anesthesia for spaying. "Its standard procedure, if her baby teeth have not fallen out by now they won't and its better to extract them now instead of bringing her back in for sedation"..... It would have been nice if this was discussed with me when we brough her in last time. I don't know what to expect tonight when I pick her up now.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:33 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
so what if a few of her baby teeth didn't fall out. i never heard of that being a cause for concern... my dad still has one of his baby teeth believe it not.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I'm saving you $60 bucks

Middie, you said your father still has one of his baby teeth. That happened to my son. Specifically, my son had a front tooth that did not and would not come out when his other teeth came out. The trouble was that he had "a supernumary (sp?) tooth" that prevented the adult tooth from pushing out the baby tooth. Normally adult teeth push out the baby teeth. In my son's case he had surgery to get out the extra tooth and put the adult tooth in position to push out the baby tooth. He looked funny when the baby tooth did not come out. We found this out through a dental xray. Now he has a nice smile. :-)
Old 10-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
Try oil of wintergreen...you can get it, waxed, on like a big fusee match (obviously, its not a match!)...

If you want to experience some of the pain yourself, just take a drop of it on your skin...noting that water does nothing to eliminate, and much to spread the burning sensation...and animals feel it exactly the same....

Lifter
I LOVE the smell of this stuff. Jewelers use it for some purpose, but I don't know what for.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:42 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter

Lifter
thanks for the tip lifter. but i don't want to hurt the dog. he's just doin what comes naturally. i'd like to get a bucket of it for it's owner tho...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote