"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-20-2004, 12:17 AM   #31

Dogs have good noses, and will catch on right away...

Owners don't, and may give you a bit of "glee" if they are dumb enough to carry any away with them...

Will briefly mention my "exposure" to cutting up hot chili peppers (without gloves) the first time, and being stricken with a "call of nature" in the midst of the opration...you can imagine the frantic dancing that was happening...

Oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Lifter

Old 10-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Oil of Wintergreen one of the VERY POISONOUS essential oils:
http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essen...intergreen.htm

When I took Sally home last night, she was SO SORE from the spaying and removal of 3 baby teeth. I gave her ice cubes to lick up, then she stayed in her bed all night.

This morning she was better, cleaning herself, a bit more energetic. She ate her scrambled egg and drank water. I think she will get better as the days go by. Thank you all for kindness.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Do dogs get hairballs? Bridget sort of wheezes and gags when she first wakes up.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:31 AM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
Do dogs get hairballs? Bridget sort of wheezes and gags when she first wakes up.
Otter, I had a maltese for 13 years & she got hairballs because she had a bad habit of chewing on her paws. So, I guess the answer to your question is yes...tey are more common in long haired dogs than short haired ones though.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:18 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Thanks crewsk. We took Bridget in several months ago and the doctor prescribed some pills for her to take. After several months, there hasn't been any improvement. The doctor said the only way to check for hairballs was to put her under and give her some iodine so the hairball would show up - was that the case with your dog?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #36
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
No, the hairballs she got were usually big enough for the vet to feel. He put her on a cat medicen that was in a tube(it's been so long ago that I don't remember what it was called)& it dissolved the hairballs. We gave it to her when she would start the gagging thing or throwing up & if it would clear it up in just a couple of days.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Thanks, crewsk. Bridget has medium length hair and does chew on her paws and groom herself frequently. The vet we take her to is really good (saved her life a few years ago when another vet said she was going to die), but he definitely seems oriented on high dollar cures. The pills are brutally expensive and have had no positive effect so far.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Our dog Billy chews his paws also, especially one of them. Our vet gave us some liquid stuff to put on his paws, but it doesn't seem to deter him much.

Vet said it's basically a nervous habit, and not particularly worrisome. Billy doesn't seem to have a hairball problem.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #39
Senior Cook

thanks for the trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
elevate the cat's food bowl--we have ours on a brick. It's helped a lot!
I really needed to learn that... our cat is anywhere from 6 to 9 years old, being a rescued cat we don't know the exact age... I am going to elevate his bowl! Can't wait to see the results...

Now I think I will have to glue the bowl down to the brick, as our cat is almost 20 lb and will push the bowl off the brick...

Jocelyne
Old 10-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #40
Sous Chef

Charlotte, if you don't want to do the glueing to the brick thing, there are some bowls available that are quite heavy so that they don't move when the dog or cat is drinking.