"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Pork and apples a no no--now you gone to meddlin' as we say in the South. You need (or maybe not--it's your choice) to try my pork loin braised with apples and onions.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Zuppa de Pesce? Manhatten Clam Chowder? Cocktail Shrimp?

I haven't made it in years, but Chicken-Fried Steak w/ country gravy is delicious!
good observations on the combos AllenMI !!! I agree that all the above are delicious!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Pasta Putanesca...tomato, pancetta, anchovies, olives, basil, parsley, chili flakes...one of the best pasta sauces around...heaven!
Love the "Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca" - add the capers and garlic to the list, however, there is no pancetta in that recipe... italian cuisine, in general, does not pair pork products in the same dish with their seafood, although in Spain, it is quite common

Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Porcini mushrooms and tomato based sauce. It is not that it's gross or anything, I just don't think tomatoes are not the best thing to compliment the rich yet delicate flavour of porcini to the max. For example, when I use porcini on pizzas or in pasta sauces, they are much tastier with tomatofree variations.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Cardamom and ANYTHING! I made this dessert one time - oranges, then a caramel sauce (brown sugar, something, something, and cardamom) - eeeeek it was nasty. I made it again without the cardamom and that's all it was. I guess it's like cilantro to some people - I JUST can't eat anything that contains it.

Mussels in a tomato-based sauce - it's just not quite right. A wine-based sauce is more palatable for me.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
good observations on the combos AllenMI !!! I agree that all the above are delicious!!!

Love the "Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca" - add the capers and garlic to the list, however, there is no pancetta in that recipe... italian cuisine, in general, does not pair pork products in the same dish with their seafood, although in Spain, it is quite common
While your observation is correct, garlic and capers yes, my very Neopolitan recipe does begin with pancetta. It is an authentic option. The anchovies are less a "fish" than a seasoning...a depth of flavor builder.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
While your observation is correct, garlic and capers yes, my very Neopolitan recipe does begin with pancetta. It is an authentic option. The anchovies are less a "fish" than a seasoning...a depth of flavor builder.
indeed Puttanesca sauce is of Neapolitan origins, where it is said the dish originated in the port area which was notorious for the ladies of the evenings, however, i beg to differ that the addition of pancetta is authentic. after your post, i searched numerous recipe sources in italian websites as i am part-italian and fluent in the language, and was unable to find any recipes which called for it. in the above statement you mention the anchovies as a "depth of flavor builder" which is quite an accurate assessment but so would the pancetta in your recipe. i accept the fact that we will agree to disagree.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

very often , the key to making good fish and/or shellfish with a tomato based sauce are the herbs, and the garlic, and the freshness/ripeness of the tomatoes.

shellfish and tomatoes almost require garlic and parsley. mussels especially.

fleshy fish are kinda bland unless they pick up char and smoke from a grill, but if you use a few fresh herbs and tomatoes, the tomato acts as the acid, similarly to using lemon to brighten up the flavors. one of my fave dishes is swordfish or monkfish, grilled, in a light, fresh, herby tomato sauce. almost a broth.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
shellfish and tomatoes almost require garlic and parsley. mussels especially.
i agree that seafood almost always calls for garlic, i find they pair excellently with or without tomatoes, although i will say that in most restaurants and homes, the garlic is overdone and totally overpowers the delicateness of seafood - it should be subtle
Old 09-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I can't bear cheeses and meats together - eg a chicken dish with melted cheese... Blech
Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #20
Head Chef

well I know where you are coming from with the chicken....some pretty good restaurants have reduced themselves to ruining a good chicken breast witha piece of cheese that should never have been melted to create a completely "blech" plate. But I don't rule it out because I think the combination can work. And I have had some super blue cheese and beef combinations and, on a less complicated but no less satisfyong level, I like to make and eat cheeseburgers over plain ones any day! (PROPER cheese, and minced steak, not the ubiquitous chain!)