"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
Senior Cook
if you want roasted garlic oil, you can put whole cloves of garlic in olive oil, make sure the garlic is covered. put in a 300F oven for about 30 minutes, keep checking the garlic should be golden brown,

remove from oven and a pinch of salt, and allow to cool. Strain out garlic and save for mashed potatoes, Your oil is now garlic oil.

If you want you can puree the oil with the garlic, It won't have the nice appearance of clear oil anymore, but if its just for flavor that won't matter. If you want to spruce up the look of it, you can always add fresh herbs and make a pistou.

If you want a raw garlic oil, just throw some olive oil in a blender, and puree up some garlic, let sit overnight and strain the next day.

Use within three days, as garlic can cause botulism under the conditions that oil provides.

All it needs is a little salt.... pepper.... mustard, catchup, sauce, flavour. -- Trapper
Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by nicklord1 View Post
Thank you how should one one prepare garlic oil should one cook the garlic in oil .
Make garlic oil only a few days ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator. It's a botulism hazard.

Make sure you use it or throw it away within 10 days and always keep it cold.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by nicklord1 View Post
I am making chicken chassauer and the recipe says chevril but i dont have chevril is there an alternative herb i can use.

Also how can i make garlic oil . Can i simply add mushed up garlic too olive oil
We have the same problem with a recipe for a roast chicken that has a mixture of fresh herbs, garlic, and olive oil that is placed under the skin. I looked everywhere and couldn't find fresh or dried chervil. I checked my cookbooks and found the same or similar substitutions posted by Andy and ended up using some dried tarragon, although fresh would be good as well.

suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote