"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
My reservation about Teflon is that it is so easily scratched.
It is only easily scratched if you do not treat it right (using metal utensils in it). If you treat it right it will not scratch.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It is only easily scratched if you do not treat it right (using metal utensils in it). If you treat it right it will not scratch.
That's easy, if you are the only one who ever uses and washes it. My DH is trustworthy in that department, but I have had bad experiences with my enamelled cast iron and people scrubbing with steel wool and worse.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...but I have had bad experiences with my enamelled cast iron and people scrubbing with steel wool and worse.

Your enameled CI is much harder than steel wool and shouldn't be harmed by it.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
I only have 2 Teflon pans in my house. I have a 10 inch for making eggs and omelets in and a 12 inch for stirfry (not cool enough for a wok) past that, they are not nessacery. My mom tries to use them for everything..and due to using them every day, they seem to fall apart pretty fast..plus they tend to be cheap. If you buy a Teflon pan, I would advise ordering one from a cooking warehouse..those things are tough as cast iron and will last forever for the average cook. However, for my every day cooking, my stainless steel and cast iron collections are my weapons of choice...actually, I keep a stainless steal fry pan and my double burner cast iron skillet on my stove at all times.
Hope that helps
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I need to get some new pans and I'm debating on whether to get stainless steel or Teflon. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried those ceramic nonstick pans you see in infomercials?
I hate non-stick. I am very happy with my (actually DH's) Lagostina stainless steel set. It's a great complement to the enamelled cast iron stuff.

I never even heard of the ceramic non-stick pans.

I have some baking stuff that is non-stick and it's awful. It's called "Baker's Secret". Stuff sticks worse to it and it's hard to clean.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your enameled CI is much harder than steel wool and shouldn't be harmed by it.
Well, you're not doing the dishes at my house (I know, big loss ).

The instructions say not to use abrasive scrubbers. They still cook fine, but the enamel got scratched and they don't clean as easily.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I hate non-stick. I am very happy with my (actually DH's) Lagostina stainless steel set. It's a great complement to the enamelled cast iron stuff.

I never even heard of the ceramic non-stick pans.

I have some baking stuff that is non-stick and it's awful. It's called "Baker's Secret". Stuff sticks worse to it and it's hard to clean.
Non-stick bakeware has to be the worst. How are you supposed to run something around baked goods to allow them to release without scratching the pan, this I have yet to figure out.

After the first scratch it will rust and be completely useless.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Non-stick bakeware has to be the worst. How are you supposed to run something around baked goods to allow them to release without scratching the pan, this I have yet to figure out.

I've found that a narrow silicone spatula works fine in running around a meatloaf or quick bread in a non-stick loaf pan, or a cake in a non-stick form. I sometimes use a heavy-duty nylon frosting knife. There are many non-metallic utensils available.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

I have non stick bakeware not because it's non stick but because it's easy to find.
I line post of it with parchment paper and use the parchment for easy release of most things. for others,grease the pan like it's a "stick" pan and flour it/corn starch it..depending on what I am cooking.
I have never had a problem with any of my non stick bake ware getting scratched up, other then the people who use a fork to pull lasagna out of the pan..but i've moved onto glass for that one
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
I have non stick bakeware not because it's non stick but because it's easy to find.
I line post of it with parchment paper and use the parchment for easy release of most things. for others,grease the pan like it's a "stick" pan and flour it/corn starch it..depending on what I am cooking.
I have never had a problem with any of my non stick bake ware getting scratched up, other then the people who use a fork to pull lasagna out of the pan..but i've moved onto glass for that one
I now use a parchment "sling" in my non-stick bakeware pans, makes life easier.

I am looking to upgrade my 2 brownie pans (8x8 square) soon and get rid of my last 2 non-stick pans.

Tags
cooking