"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

Another vote for chicken marsala. Wanted to mention it as well, but didn't know if your budget would allow re alcohol in the dish. KE is there a sweet marsala you could recommend for cooking & drinking (killing two birds with one stone - & you won't have a leftover bottle of whatever to use up later)? TIA

Not to deter from KE's recipe, but here is a link to give you a visual of the steps. I like the addition of heavy cream.

Chicken--Mushroom-Marsala

You could buy extra mushrooms, and make stuffed mushrroms as an appetizer.

I also like the strawberry shortcake idea for dessert. For an easy method, you can purchase the shortcake shells at the market, pile on the berries & top with whipped cream.

Another quick dish is shrimp scampi. There are lots of recipes here on this site. Try a search at the top of the screen. Happy anniversary.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I LOVE Martha Stewart's version of chicken parmigiana. I get asked to make this all the time! Also, when she saute's the chicken cutlets, I would use a mixture of oil AND butter for flavor. Also, definitely use FRESH mozzarella, it makes ALL the difference. You can make it ahead of time and bake it off. Do a search on her site!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I went with the first dish that was suggested because I was very short on time. I had to make a few alterations though. My supermarket didn't have stuffed shells so I went with cheese tortellinis. They had all three of the spices but they were expensive so I bought a spice mix that included the basil, marjoram, and oregano. (it also had thyme and sage). It came out pretty well but if I ever make it again I think I'll boil the tortellinis first. I made the asparagus and garlic bread too. I just bought generic "throw it in the oven and it's done" garlic bread and I made the asparagus by tossing it with olive oil, salting it, and baking it for about 10 minutes. I have never liked asparagus but I tried some anyway and discovered that I LOVE ASPARAGUS as long as it's cooked that way and not steamed.

Thank you all for your help, it ended up costing about 30 dollars in materials and the leftovers fed us for another day and a half.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
Head Chef

Sub, glad you liked my suggestion & asparagus are yummy. Should have mentioned for a dinner for two - you probably wouldn't need as many chicken breasts, but sometimes leftovers are a good thing.