"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Running a microwave for 10 minutes isn't all that efficient either. It's the same as leaving a 60 watt incandescent light on for almost 2˝ hours. How that relates to an electric oven I have no idea.
Well, yes, probably, but it's still pennies and saves me a lot of aggravation. I'm fairly frugal when it comes to the "leccy" bill but sometimes convenience trumps economy and I don't know what it would cost to boil the water and then cook the rice on the top of the gas stove. Probably more than the m/wave.

We have to eat.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #32
Head Chef

A lot of times, if the main course is going to take a good while, I'll start the water to boil, salt and add rice, cover, let it come back up to a boil and then turn off the burner and just let it sit while the rest of the dinner cooks. If it sits for at least 20 minutes, though usually it sits longer, it will be perfectly done. I've done this for years with Uncle Ben's and it's a TNT at our house.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
Welcome to the forum, I never heard someone have a problem with this, what is actually happening?
You'd be surprised. Basmati rice and I, we do not see eye to eye. It never comes our right when I do it. It is actually so stupid that it is simply funny. We have, (well had) this wonderful Indian neighbors and we were very close. She used to make the most perfect rice. she have shown me many times, I have written everything down and yet, basmati rice never comes out right when I do it. It is somewhat anecdotal. After many failures she came to my house once and told me to do step by step everything she does. We cooked the rice basically together, guess what, I bet you guessed it, rice did not come out. At that point I decided to give up. I have not made basmati rice since. BTW, I do not have problem cooking other types of rice.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
A lot of times, if the main course is going to take a good while, I'll start the water to boil, salt and add rice, cover, let it come back up to a boil and then turn off the burner and just let it sit while the rest of the dinner cooks. If it sits for at least 20 minutes, though usually it sits longer, it will be perfectly done. I've done this for years with Uncle Ben's and it's a TNT at our house.
I'd completely forgotten that I used to do this long ago, back when my timing skills did not exist and no matter how hard I tried, all parts of a meal were never done at the same time. With the increase in our electric bill, I think I'll be doing it this way once again. Thanks for jogging my memory, medtran. It's the only part of my body that jogs anymore.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #35
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
*bump*

Steamed Japanese Rice Recipe - Bon Appétit

Click image for larger version

Name:	rice.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24215
[photo courtesy of Bon Appetit]

I was just reading this article and then a received an email on this as well, ya killin' me! I am presently in a rice-free-zone, but man, I could each and every one of these bowls of rice!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #36
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
ooooo, hot rice topped with canned Tuna and Japanese mayonnaise

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawaii May 2012 295.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	24216

Tags
cook, cooking, rice, stove