ISO help/tips cooking rice on the stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GA, that's a great idea, but it's a lot cheaper to run a burner than an oven. I don't think I would try that unless I had something that had to be roasted/baked. I don't know what jacco's electricity rates are, but with our last bill I'm thinking that Mad Cook's microwave method looks pretty appealing!

Running a microwave for 10 minutes isn't all that efficient either. It's the same as leaving a 60 watt incandescent light on for almost 2½ hours. How that relates to an electric oven I have no idea. :wacko:

"15 minutes", GotGarlic? Like the package time then? I'm guessing your time is for white rice. Have you played with brown rice in microwave, and would the time be the about the time on the package?

I still might try Sara Moulton's method today, just for the sport of it.

Last edited:
This instruction is how I have cooked my rice since childhood, well until I got lazy and bought a rice cooker. I've never used butter or oil in my rice.

How To Cook Rice on the Stove — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

I cook my Jasmine rice (my favorite) exactly like PF and it's perfect every single time.

How To Cook Rice on the Stove — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

I cook rice EXACTLY like this. Have been doing so for years and have never had any problems. Rice always turns out perfectly.

One issue I think people overlook is that they don't use a large enough pan with an appropriately-fitting lid. Those two variables will definitely change the game.

I also cook rice this way. I rarely look at bag directions.

I never rinse.
Only add butter if it is pilaf (may add butter on plate if desired)

AND I never do the 1/2 cup raw rice per person. I make 1 cup raw rice and 2 cup water (I measure salt in palm of hand about 1/2 tsp?) for 4 people.

"15 minutes", GotGarlic? Like the package time then? I'm guessing your time is for white rice. Have you played with brown rice in microwave, and would the time be the about the time on the package?

I still might try Sara Moulton's method today, just for the sport of it.

Yup, 15 minutes. I haven't looked at the package time in ages. I've never made brown rice because, amazingly enough, I can't eat high-fiber foods for medical reasons :)

I also cook rice this way. I rarely look at bag directions.

I never rinse.
Only add butter if it is pilaf (may add butter on plate if desired)

AND I never do the 1/2 cup raw rice per person. I make 1 cup raw rice and 2 cup water (I measure salt in palm of hand about 1/2 tsp?) for 4 people.

We must be twins, msmofet :) I do exactly the same.

I have to do significant adjustment on recipes like this, because we live at 4000 feet above sea level, and water boils at 204°. Anything that requires boiling water to cook takes longer, and it always requires some trial and error to get it down.

Growing up the hill in Laramie, WY (another 3000 ft), I had to adjust when I moved to a lower altitude, the recipe in the link is close to the one I found at the time. I messed up a lot of rice when we moved to Montana.

My rice turns out fine when cooked the traditional way on the stovetop, but I've been wanting to try Sara Moulton's method. Rather than measure water and rice, and adjust the burner and all that jazz, she treats it like pasta. She brings a large pan of water with a greater than water-to-rice ratio to a boil. Once the water is boiling, dump in the raw rice, return to a boil, and test after it has cooked as long as the directions say. If it is tender, drain and use. If it needs a bit more cooking time, just keep checking until it is just right.

Actually, tonight's planned dinner involves rice. :idea: IF I can remember, I'll try this method tonight and report back.

Sara publically admits that she is rice impaired. I admit, when I don't feel like fussing around on the stove, I use her method. It works out great. And I just may use it all the time from now on. :angel:

Addie, the Sara Moulton Method is perfect! I made Carolina Gold rice, which needs a bit longer of a cooking time (15-25 minutes). I checked it at 18, then got the sink ready to drain it and by the time I dumped it, it had cooked about 20 minutes. Himself said he couldn't believe how nice the texture was. I was happy with the ease of preparation.

I've always liked Sara Moulton and her common-sense way of cooking. Now, after cooking this batch of rice, I think I'm in love! :LOL:

Addie, the Sara Moulton Method is perfect! I made Carolina Gold rice, which needs a bit longer of a cooking time (15-25 minutes). I checked it at 18, then got the sink ready to drain it and by the time I dumped it, it had cooked about 20 minutes. Himself said he couldn't believe how nice the texture was. I was happy with the ease of preparation.

I've always liked Sara Moulton and her common-sense way of cooking. Now, after cooking this batch of rice, I think I'm in love! :LOL:

She got her start on TV on the Food Network. Then when they were looking to upgrade their image they let her go. She seems so much more relaxed on PBS. It is a pleasure to watch her. And when you send her an email she personally answers it. :angel:

My rice turns out fine when cooked the traditional way on the stovetop, but I've been wanting to try Sara Moulton's method. Rather than measure water and rice, and adjust the burner and all that jazz, she treats it like pasta. She brings a large pan of water with a greater than water-to-rice ratio to a boil. Once the water is boiling, dump in the raw rice, return to a boil, and test after it has cooked as long as the directions say. If it is tender, drain and use. If it needs a bit more cooking time, just keep checking until it is just right.

Actually, tonight's planned dinner involves rice. :idea: IF I can remember, I'll try this method tonight and report back.
Yes, I always used to use that method before I discovered the m/wave method and always use it when I'm out of contact with a m/wave.

The advantage of the m/wave method is that I can ignore it and get on with something else and it doesn't fill my pokey little kitchen with steam.

Running a microwave for 10 minutes isn't all that efficient either. It's the same as leaving a 60 watt incandescent light on for almost 2½ hours. How that relates to an electric oven I have no idea. :wacko:
Well, yes, probably, but it's still pennies and saves me a lot of aggravation. I'm fairly frugal when it comes to the "leccy" bill but sometimes convenience trumps economy and I don't know what it would cost to boil the water and then cook the rice on the top of the gas stove. Probably more than the m/wave.

We have to eat.

A lot of times, if the main course is going to take a good while, I'll start the water to boil, salt and add rice, cover, let it come back up to a boil and then turn off the burner and just let it sit while the rest of the dinner cooks. If it sits for at least 20 minutes, though usually it sits longer, it will be perfectly done. I've done this for years with Uncle Ben's and it's a TNT at our house.

Welcome to the forum, I never heard someone have a problem with this, what is actually happening?

You'd be surprised. Basmati rice and I, we do not see eye to eye. It never comes our right when I do it. It is actually so stupid that it is simply funny. We have, (well had) this wonderful Indian neighbors and we were very close. She used to make the most perfect rice. she have shown me many times, I have written everything down and yet, basmati rice never comes out right when I do it. It is somewhat anecdotal. After many failures she came to my house once and told me to do step by step everything she does. We cooked the rice basically together, guess what, I bet you guessed it, rice did not come out. At that point I decided to give up. I have not made basmati rice since. BTW, I do not have problem cooking other types of rice. :rolleyes:

A lot of times, if the main course is going to take a good while, I'll start the water to boil, salt and add rice, cover, let it come back up to a boil and then turn off the burner and just let it sit while the rest of the dinner cooks. If it sits for at least 20 minutes, though usually it sits longer, it will be perfectly done. I've done this for years with Uncle Ben's and it's a TNT at our house.

I'd completely forgotten that I used to do this long ago, back when my timing skills did not exist and no matter how hard I tried, all parts of a meal were never done at the same time. With the increase in our electric bill, I think I'll be doing it this way once again. Thanks for jogging my memory, medtran. It's the only part of my body that jogs anymore. ;)

*bump*

Steamed Japanese Rice Recipe - Bon Appétit

rice.jpg
[photo courtesy of Bon Appetit]

I was just reading this article and then a received an email on this as well, ya killin' me! I am presently in a rice-free-zone, but man, I could each and every one of these bowls of rice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom