Just Curious... How do you watch your Cooking youtube videos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mseaglecook

Senior Cook
When I watch cooking videos on youtube I hit the more button and look at the "chapters". If I don't like what I see I move on. If I am totally enthralled with a video I watch it at least 3-5 times. I copy the transcript and create a written recipe.

How do I decide what videos to watch. I link jump. I never watched Jacques Pepin until I read about him on this forum. I am currently watching his video and having a great time learning all sorts of new things.

I don't watch them - ever. In my opinion, they are usually a bunch of folks who don't want to get real jobs, trying to make a living off the internet. Most times, these wanna-be 'influencers' don't have any real cooking skills or training. Just looking for a way to make an easy buck on ad revenues from getting clicks. I refuse to click.

I may sound like a crotchety old geezer, but that's what I think. Folks like Jacques Pepin are truly the exception .

It’s definitely a mixed bag.

I follow Jacques Pepin.

I have had good results with DC’s own James Strange and his World of Flavor.

Clara is gone now but Great Depression Cooking with Clara is an old favorite. I also enjoy her cookbook.

I don't watch them - ever. In my opinion, they are usually a bunch of folks who don't want to get real jobs, trying to make a living off the internet. Most times, these wanna-be 'influencers' don't have any real cooking skills or training. Just looking for a way to make an easy buck on ad revenues from getting clicks. I refuse to click.

I may sound like a crotchety old geezer, but that's what I think. Folks like Jacques Pepin are truly the exception .

I disagree. Yes, there are some lame ones, but I have a handful of YouTube cooking channels I watch, every episode.

Joshua Weisman. A very skilled chef in Austin who is also very funny.

Andrew Rea (AKA: Babbish). Again, knows how to cook, and is really funny.

Sorted Foods: Some brits who do a fun show. Two trained chefs and three "normals."

Guga (Guga Foods and Sous Vide Everything). A master of sous vide cooking, and cooking the best steaks possible. He does some really weird steak experiments. "I do it so you don't have to" is his motto.

I pick YouTube cooking shows that are not just informative, but entertaining. Yes, they make money off of there videos, if they are good. Andrew Rea and Josh Weissman each earn seven figure incomes. It doesn't cost me anything but a click of my mouse, which costs me nothing, so more power to them. I do pay Google 4 bucks a month to watch YouTube videos without ads, but that applies to every YouTube video I watch.

I do NOT have cable or satellite TV, which would set me back close to 100 bucks a month, for 300 channels, of which I would watch maybe five. Four bucks a month, vs 100 bucks a month. Do the math.

I wish I had the talent to do a successful YouTube channel. I certainly am not going to begrudge someone who does have the talent by "not clicking" just because I don't want them to make money off of something I can't do.

CD

Last edited:
I follow a number of YouTubers who cook. I really enjoy "Tasting History with Max Miller". If I remember correctly, he started the channel at the beginning of the pandemic as something to do with his interest in food and history. He now makes a decent income with his videos. I'm pretty sure he didn't set out to use YouTube as a platform for earning money, but he got popular and the possibilities became apparent to him. He does a lot of research and finds old recipes that could be from Roman times or it could be like this one about a recipe from 1932. It's 18:49 minutes long.

First I go to the description below the youtube to see if there are written directions with amounts.
If I'm not sure I want to watch it I will fast forward through by tapping the 'greater than' button (>) that is on the lower right hand side of the keyboard and only stop on the parts I want to see.

First I go to the description below the youtube to see if there are written directions with amounts.
If I'm not sure I want to watch it I will fast forward through by tapping the 'greater than' button (>) that is on the lower right hand side of the keyboard and only stop on the parts I want to see.

If you like YouTube videos with actual recipes, Chef John at Food Wishes is a good source. He puts links to his recipes in the descriptions. His channel is owned by Allrecipes.com.

CD

If you like YouTube videos with actual recipes, Chef John at Food Wishes is a good source. He puts links to his recipes in the descriptions. His channel is owned by Allrecipes.com.

CD
Yup, I don't necessarily like all of Chef John's recipes, but that's a question of personal preferences. The recipes always work and lots of them are very much to my liking. It really is nicer to get a properly formated recipe, instead of having to copy the transcription and foof with that.

Last edited:
It’s definitely a mixed bag.

I follow Jacques Pepin.

I have had good results with DC’s own James Strange and his World of Flavor.

Clara is gone now but Great Depression Cooking with Clara is an old favorite. I also enjoy her cookbook.
I watch JP as well. And I loved Clara's videos. I've even made a couple of her recipes. One of my favorites is Pasta & Peas. So good.

I don't watch my YouTube cooking videos. That would be kind of egotistical.

Well, my dear Sir. If you could send me a pm with a link to your channel I would love that.

I am shocked that you don't watch the competition just to see what they are up too... LOL

Sort of like Corporate Espionage. Makes you feel all happy and superior when you know that you produce a better product. :giggle:

CD

CD,
I like to be entertained too. I love Chef John and Josh Weisman. I enjoyed Josh Weisman stories about Chefs throwing food at him while he was an apprentice. I thought that Chefs throwing a temper tantrum was a joke. Turns out it is a real thing.:ohmy:

CD,
I like to be entertained too. I love Chef John and Josh Weisman. I enjoyed Josh Weisman stories about Chefs throwing food at him while he was an apprentice. I thought that Chefs throwing a temper tantrum was a joke. Turns out it is a real thing.:ohmy:
You must not be familiar with Gordon Ramsay :ROFLMAO:

Some of the most hot-headed people in the world are chefs.

I love the show Worst Cooks in America and Alton Brown was on there for a season and OMG, just watching him was frustrating because he was sooooooooo uptight over everything. I'd never seen him in that light before and I didn't like his personality on that show at all. I seriously thought he was going to blow a gasket - like every 5 minutes.

You must not be familiar with Gordon Ramsay :ROFLMAO:

Some of the most hot-headed people in the world are chefs.

I love the show Worst Cooks in America and Alton Brown was on there for a season and OMG, just watching him was frustrating because he was sooooooooo uptight over everything. I'd never seen him in that light before and I didn't like his personality on that show at all. I seriously thought he was going to blow a gasket - like every 5 minutes.
Oh, yeah Gordon Ramsey.. I think that a lot of that is just for the show. Plus I give him a pass because he is so handsome. Also he must not be angry all of the time. He has 6 kids with the same wife. LOL

I cut the cable cord many moons ago. I did watch a few of the cooking channels and shows when I had cable. I loved Alton Brown's shows too. I am sad that he is such a control freak. If you think about it his show was very scripted. So I am not surprised.

Oh, yeah Gordon Ramsey.. I think that a lot of that is just for the show. Plus I give him a pass because he is so handsome. Also he must not be angry all of the time. He has 6 kids with the same wife. LOL

I cut the cable cord many moons ago. I did watch a few of the cooking channels and shows when I had cable. I loved Alton Brown's shows too. I am sad that he is such a control freak. If you think about it his show was very scripted. So I am not surprised.
So true, lol. But I've seen him in some situations where he really did appear to be extremely angry.

As for Alton Brown, I loved watching Good Eats. He was quite amusing in those shows. But put him into certain other situations and he's like Jeckyll and Hyde.

Aside from many mentioned above, recipetineats often has video's of her recipes. I like her type of video's - no words! But I'm a visual person and when I see them doing it - gives me a fantastic understanding of the recipe.
Many good quality video's are out there. but yes, there are bummer's too!

Aside from many mentioned above, recipetineats often has video's of her recipes. I like her type of video's - no words! But I'm a visual person and when I see them doing it - gives me a fantastic understanding of the recipe.
Many good quality video's are out there. but yes, there are bummer's too!
I love that website. Fabulous recipes and I like how she visually displays all of the ingredients you'll need for each dish.

There are a lot like that, but there are also a lot of good ones. One that you might find interesting is by a woman named Beryl who lives in NYC. She does a variety of types of videos now; I started watching her a few years ago when she would ask people from around the world to tell her how they prepared different ingredients, like toppings for rice, eggplant, chicken wings, pasta, etc. Here's one.
She also asks people from different countries what they would order for takeout, then she orders it and records her impressions; or has two people from different cultures swap recipes and records them while they're cooking and eating them. She's cheerful, adventurous and funny ☺

Last edited:
When I watch cooking videos on youtube I hit the more button and look at the "chapters". If I don't like what I see I move on. If I am totally enthralled with a video I watch it at least 3-5 times. I copy the transcript and create a written recipe.

How do I decide what videos to watch. I link jump. I never watched Jacques Pepin until I read about him on this forum. I am currently watching his video and having a great time learning all sorts of new things.
Link jump?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom