"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
cool, and thanks :)

I was planning on doing the same minus the sugar, but with a little salt and chili powder, maybe a little turmeric and fenugreek leaves (dried and crushed), I think a few drops of liquid smoke in the batter mix maybe good too :)
I have German frankfurters here and bockworst (same as hot dogs really) but I though maybe some english Tomato sausage would be neat to try also.

I don`t have a "sweet tooth" at all ya see, except in black coffee and maybe Skittles :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Make sure whatever sausage you use is already cooked. Hot dogs and some sausage is sold fully cooked. I don't think an uncooked sausage would cook through by the time the batter cooked.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I have had the commercial version of the 'pancake covered sausage on a stick' so I know it's possible, but I've never tried to do it myself. I'm of two minds about them, as I love pancakes and sausage... but I usually don't like syrup on my sausage...

I'm also thinking that they might use a different cooking method (maybe) than deep frying for the breakfast version. Deep fried pancake batter? Sounds like a grease sponge, but I guess I could be wrong. Also the sausage is probably fully cooked before being dipped, as that seems to me the only way of getting it done without overdoing the coating trying to get the interior to temperature.

As far as corn dog battter being sweet, I also believe it's a tradition, but I don't know the source. I like both varieties of corn bread, but I prefer a sweet (but not too sweet) breading on my corndog. The batter I had was nicely sweet before it was cooked but seemed to lose it's sweetness after the hot oil bath (you get dipped in hot oil and see how sweet you are when you come out...).

I'll have to try this again someday and do the add of honey. Too bad the recipe doesn't divide evenly easily... I don't have enough people to cook for to do the experimentation I would need to actually get it down perfect quickly (and yes, even I can eat 'too many' corn dogs in a day, even if it does take me longer than most).
Old 08-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Make sure whatever sausage you use is already cooked. Hot dogs and some sausage is sold fully cooked. I don't think an uncooked sausage would cook through by the time the batter cooked.
Excellent point!!!!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
absolutely :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 AM   #16
Head Chef

Be inventive add some fine minced green onion, hot pepper sauce and call them fire cracker dogs , try different kinds of mustard on them, I once had to make a bunch for a birthday party , and added a lot of things just to mix it up, u might add a little chedder cheese to the batter shredded of course.
You could use a Hush puppy batter that works good as well, keep moving on
Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #17
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Stinker Send a message via Yahoo to Stinker
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions for the corn dog recipe. Occassionally, I get a craving for one. Love the ones the Sonic makes but since we don't have a Sonic here in B.C., I thought about trying to make them myself. I wish we did have Jiffy cornbread mix here, Uncle Bob. Oh well, will make do with what we do have. LOL Will let you know how this turns out. Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
Head Chef

i just this weekend bought a corn dog kit that comes with the
sticks and batter .. it was 2 bucks at big lots ..
Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinker
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions for the corn dog recipe. Occassionally, I get a craving for one. Love the ones the Sonic makes but since we don't have a Sonic here in B.C., I thought about trying to make them myself. I wish we did have Jiffy cornbread mix here, Uncle Bob. Oh well, will make do with what we do have. LOL Will let you know how this turns out. Thanks again everyone.

Welcome to the Chelsea Milling Company - Home of "JIFFY" Mixes!

This may help

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote