ISO Redeye Gravy Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
anybody know how to make redeye gravy? I need a recipe for this if any one is willing to help me out :)

Red eye gravy is a ham/pork based gravy that is made with coffee and thickened with flour.

Fry up a slice of ham, bacon or sausage and add a table spoon of flour and cook in the renderings to get rid of the flour taste. Add a cup of coffee to the roux and cook until thickened. You can add water to dilute the coffee to your taste. I've seen beef stock, sugar, pepper, and other ingredients added to modify the taste but you can add whatever you like to make it your own.

One thing that I think always adds to the gravy is chopping up some of the meat (ham, bacon or sausage) and mixing it into the gravy to give it a coarse country feel and texture.

Last edited:
i have seen it and tasted it on grits and I must say It IS tasty,I wanted to know how to make it my self... :) thanks for your help...

kimbaby, if you use the Search function at the right hand side of the page it will often lead you right to what you are looking for.

I know that Raine has posted a really good redeye gravy recipe, I am trying to find it for you. For now though, that one I gave you from marmalady looks like a winner.

OK, this is not real redeye gravy but heard about it on a TV show on Southern cooking many years ago. No, do not remember which one.

It is a rather sweet suace but is fast to make and we think works very well, particularly for breakfast, with a slice of country ham.

While your Ham slice is frying, pour 1 can of Coke (not diet, only the real McCoy here) into a saucepan on med-high heat and reduce by 1/2 to 1/3 also slice one large onion and set aside.

After the ham slice has been fried, remove it from the pan and set aside.

Add the sliced onions to the pan and saute until they go limp.

Add the reduced Coke to the pan and heat until the onions are soft.

Pour over the ham steak.

auntdot said:
OK, this is not real redeye gravy but heard about it on a TV show on Southern cooking many years ago. No, do not remember which one.

It is a rather sweet suace but is fast to make and we think works very well, particularly for breakfast, with a slice of country ham.

While your Ham slice is frying, pour 1 can of Coke (not diet, only the real McCoy here) into a saucepan on med-high heat and reduce by 1/2 to 1/3 also slice one large onion and set aside.

After the ham slice has been fried, remove it from the pan and set aside.

Add the sliced onions to the pan and saute until they go limp.

Add the reduced Coke to the pan and heat until the onions are soft.

Pour over the ham steak.

Aunt Dot, I'm sure I'd like that better than the other kind. I hate anything with coffee in it.

I saw a recipe someplacer for a cream-style ham gravy, using the ham drippings instead of bacon or sausage. I think I'd like that with my biscuits, ham and eggs. (oh my, think of the calories! :ohmy: )

Red Eye Gravy

kimbaby said:
anybody know how to make redeye gravy? I need a recipe for this if any one is willing to help me out :)

My mother was born on Kerr's Creek in Rockbridge Co. Virginia
They raised and butchered their own hogs.

The Red Eye gravy I make is the same as my nother and her mother made for many years.

Use only sugar cured countey ham.
Pan fry the ham in a little shorting, I like to use the fat from the ham.
Deglaze the pan with no more than 1 cup of water.
That's it.
Serve on grits with eggs.

Charlie

My mother didn't use coffee, either - neither did my grandmother. I like the taste of the gravy made with a bit of water, instead. The thing about red-eye gravy is that a slice of ham doesn't provide for much gravy, but the flavor is intense, so you don't need much.

Here's a Red Eye Gravy recipe straight from North Carolina. Fry country ham in a skillet. Remove the ham and pour strong black coffee into the drippings. Simmer for a few minutes. Country ham is the choice here in the south because it's salty.

My daughter just brought me 5 packages of the Country Cured Ham from Missouri. The company there, Burger Barn, packages it in slices, biscuit cuts, or bean bits for flavoring beans.
It's every bit as good as that I use to get in Virginia.

I'm going to try a red eye gravy with coffee tomorrow.

Later,
Charlie

Kentucky version

Hi:

We pride ourselves for country ham recipes.

Drop slices of quality country ham in a very hot dry cast iron skillet. Sear each side quickly.

Deglaze skillet with 1/4 cup each coffey and water. quickly pour gravy into cruet.

It is not a thickened gravy. the biscuits soak up the liquid and the country ham slices make the best meal.

Let me know how it turns out.

Red Eye Gravy

I did my test this AM.
I panfried 3 slices, 3"X 3", of my country cured ham from Missouri.
I had very little grease in the pan so I only added 1/4 cup of coffee.
Deglazed the brownings off the bottom of the pan and simmered 2 min.
Didn't have any grits so I just sopped a piece of bread.

I must say, I'll stick to water instead of coffee.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom