"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #31
Head Chef

That's why I thought Elizabeth David might fit your bill with her background, Mediterranean and vegetarian cooking and recipes . I don't associate the likes of Shepherds pie as food the upper classes would eat , but it would be classed as nursery food , a comfort food but cheap and easy to make . You could indeed do vegetarian Shepherds Pie with no shepherd ;-) I think Jane Grigson is another option and indeed Delia Smith . Hopefully you will be able to research and come up with some interesting ideas ? Keep us posted and good luck .

Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barly View Post
I'm sorry if I gave that impression. There are 180'775 books in Amazon's cookery section, and I'm not going even to guess the number of websites. I didn't expect or want anybody in the forum even to have a look at them. But maybe somebody had come across something that would help me - after all, the point of a forum like this is the exchange of experiences and knowledge. (And everybody has to start at some time, as I do now.) That can be "oh, book X which I happen to have is just what you need" or "forget books, take a tomato and cook it".
" I'm sorry if I gave that impression".

That wasn't the impression I got----- at all. You've explained your reason(s) quite well and saved me the bother of talking about what forums are for. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think I would used my tried and true cookbooks, just adjust for no meat. Study up on "umami" and how to incorporate it without using meat. Also study about how to create a complete protein using vegetables, something that is very important.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think I would used my tried and true cookbooks, just adjust for no meat. Study up on "umami" and how to incorporate it without using meat. Also study about how to create a complete protein using vegetables, something that is very important.

PF---- now you're talking!--amino acid supplementation (combining essential amino acids that your body doesn't make) to make a complete protein with no meat! I had to write a paper on that in biochemistry a long time ago.

It became more 'popular' when the Hippie culture espoused vegetarianism and some actually knew how and why to still get a healthy diet with no meat.
And I don't mean buying the pills to do it!

BUT----- the poorer Mexicans knew this long long before! A meatless taco, with beans, cheese and corn tortillas gave as complete a protein as a steak did.

More later, for those that are waiting for my Timeless Prose. (ZZzzzzzzz)
Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
PF---- now you're talking!--amino acid supplementation (combining essential amino acids that your body doesn't make) to make a complete protein with no meat! I had to write a paper on that in biochemistry a long time ago.

It became more 'popular' when the Hippie culture espoused vegetarianism and some actually knew how and why to still get a healthy diet with no meat.
And I don't mean buying the pills to do it!

BUT----- the poorer Mexicans knew this long long before! A meatless taco, with beans, cheese and corn tortillas gave as complete a protein as a steak did.

More later, for those that are waiting for my Timeless Prose. (ZZzzzzzzz)
They also knew to use nixtamalized corn, which has more available nutrients.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #36
Head Chef

Of course I forgot to add rice to my meal with tacos.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barly View Post
I'm sorry if I gave that impression. There are 180'775 books in Amazon's cookery section, and I'm not going even to guess the number of websites. I didn't expect or want anybody in the forum even to have a look at them. But maybe somebody had come across something that would help me - after all, the point of a forum like this is the exchange of experiences and knowledge. (And everybody has to start at some time, as I do now.) That can be "oh, book X which I happen to have is just what you need" or "forget books, take a tomato and cook it".
Sorry, I was a bit sharp. Don't let me put you off DC.

Henri x
Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

No problem, and not at all.

Tags
vegetarian