"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Don't be too alarmed. Ducks and geese naturally overeat in the fall to grow enough fat for their flight south. If you ever saw them being fed, you wouldn't call it "force!" They walk right up and love every minute!

I have not seen the procedure in the "feed lots," which I am sure is where they ram the stent down their necks to feed them, but if you saw the way "regular" grocery store chickens were raised, you would not eat them. I don't!
+1

It's called "the gavage", it's just a synthetic way of reproducing a natural process. It gets a bad rap, but yeah, the way commercial chickens are raised bothers me way more, not that I abstain from eating them, lol.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #32
Master Chef

I guess my most unusual meal would have to be BBQ raccoon. I'm quite open about trying new things, but I didn't care for it...it tasted very greasy.

I also had coon in a gumbo once, when I lived on the bayou, but it was in tiny bits, and I didn't know what it was at the time. The gumbo was delicious.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #33
Senior Cook

I've had cricket before, it was served a lot like Takoyaki, with a cricket mixture of some kind encased in a fried shell. It was actually very delicious, although it tasted more like "fried" than like whatever cricket probably tastes like.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I have not seen the procedure in the "feed lots," which I am sure is where they ram the stent down their necks to feed them, but if you saw the way "regular" grocery store chickens were raised, you would not eat them. I don't!
Yeah, the workers basically treated the ducks and geese like living nozzles, shoving tubes right down their throats while the poor buggers quacked and writhed. I'd be all for naturally-overfed duck and goose liver, but since that won't get the foie gras to the obscene size necessary to make a profit I doubt we'll see it happen.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
here`s what some of my friends think id Very Unusual (strange) but I like a large bowl of Chips with plenty cheese in layers in between and then filled with gravy.

this is comfort food Supreme!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

If your friends think that is strange then you need new friends That is one of the most normal things I have ever heard you say
Old 08-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #37
Master Chef

I had to laugh when I read Keltin's list ... I've eaten all of them many times, plus prepared most of them. No one mentioned Ostrich and Imu.

You know, even when people do throw a question out there and don't follow up, I enjoy the give and take the rest of us have when we pick up on a thread.

As a child we ate a lot of organ meats. Beef tongue, heart. What we used to call "gizzards and lizards" (all of the innards that come with the chicken were saved up, then boiled, then mom would boild egg noodles in the broth that created, and then toss is a package of frozen mixed veggies. If my husband would eat it I still would love it). The one thing Daddy liked that Mom would only make for him was kidneys. They smell exactly like what they are.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
If your friends think that is strange then you need new friends That is one of the most normal things I have ever heard you say
But I eat it with Chopsticks!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
here`s what some of my friends think id Very Unusual (strange) but I like a large bowl of Chips with plenty cheese in layers in between and then filled with gravy.

this is comfort food Supreme!
YT, we call that 'Cheese fries with gravy'

Some diners have it on their menus.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #40
Executive Chef

from slower Delaware come a fine fricase of "Marshrabbit" (muscrat by other name)

clean and skin the critters and hack into parts as you would a rabbit...haunch, breast, forelegs. soak in salted cold water 24 hours changing every 4 hours (except overnight)...soak in seasoned buttermilk 8 hours...
dredge in meal or flour and lightly fry, then braise in dutch oven over mirepoix, with thyme, salt and pepper, neutral broth (veal or chicken), 1/4 cup of wine or wine vinegar.

when fallin' off the bone done, mash veggies into broth and put through a food mill, add butter and flour to the pan, make a roux, add the broth, make a gravy, add the meat, serve over biscuits ... sides of limas or butter beans with pork or bacon, zucchini and tomatoes, whatever is fresh!

save the critter's skins for sale ... good country eatin'