Keeping rice stuffing warm without drying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I am making rice stuffing for a big group dinner tomorrow night and I would like to keep it warm in a crock pot, but I'm worried that it will dry out. It will likely be in there for 4-5 hours. Should I add extra moisture? I'm worried that once it starts to dry out I'll be up a creek and it won't rehydrate properly, so I'd like to prevent it.

This is the recipe I'll be using:
Chicken Sausage Brown Rice Stuffing with Celery and Mushrooms | Skinnytaste

You could make it ahead of time, refrigerate it them reheat it when needed. A microwave is the right tool for the job.

If you have a glass casserole with lid, this is perfect for making rice. As Andy has said - make ahead and use the microwave to reheat. The glass lid holds the condensed moisture and adds it back.

I actually even cook my rice in the micro when I'm doing large amounts.

and that recipe sounds delish!

However you choose to do it, just make sure you hold the rice at proper temp as it is the source of a particularly nasty kind of food poisoning.

To add to what jennyema said, proper temperature is 140ºF. I would suggest putting some warm water in your slow cooker and checking the temperature after a hour or so to see if it will hold at that temp.

I did a little searching and on a couple sites for chefs, they suggested holding rice dishes covered in a warm oven and replenishing the serving dish occasionally, or keeping cooled cooked rice in the fridge and reheating in the microwave as needed.

However you choose to do it, just make sure you hold the rice at proper temp as it is the source of a particularly nasty kind of food poisoning.
I wouldn't keep it warm for that very reason. Make it, cool it quickly, then reheat thoroughly when required.

Back
Top Bottom