"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #221
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
ray davies in his 60's & still deliverin' the goods @ glastonbury 2010 tom...the best festival in the world & 2010 was about the only year it wasn't a mud bath,i know,i've been..............
Thank you for posting this, Harry. I hadn't heard it before and I loved it

I agree with CWS - these discussions are a lot of fun when they veer around in different directions. The reminder that it had gone off-topic was a bit of a buzz-kill.

I have a few sauce mixes, but I usually end up talking myself out of using them, since I also have tons of spices in my cabinet. Here's one shortcut, though: I have some frozen homemade chicken broth, but I also have this in the fridge, since it doesn't have to thaw
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

I agree with CWS - these discussions are a lot of fun when they veer around in different directions. The reminder that it had gone off-topic was a bit of a buzz-kill.

I have a few sauce mixes, but I usually end up talking myself out of using them, since I also have tons of spices in my cabinet. Here's one shortcut, though: I have some frozen homemade chicken broth, but I also have this in the fridge, since it doesn't have to thaw
My mom has a jar of that in her pantry--unopened. I make stock from scratch when I'm there, but I'll have to move that to the fridge when I go.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #223
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic

I LOVE this stuff! Have you tried the beef too, GG?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #224
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I LOVE this stuff! Have you tried the beef too, GG?
Yes, I have the beef as well. I don't use beef stock as often as chicken stock, but it's handy to have to make a quick gravy when there aren't enough drippings, and I like it better than powdered mixes. Since there's just the two of us, I don't usually cook big cuts of beef, but we *have* to have gravy with meatloaf

Have you tried the fish base? I've been wondering if it would be good in a chowder or bisque.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #225
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic

Yes, I have the beef as well. I don't use beef stock as often as chicken stock, but it's handy to have to make a quick gravy when there aren't enough drippings, and I like it better than powdered mixes. Since there's just the two of us, I don't usually cook big cuts of beef, but we *have* to have gravy with meatloaf

Have you tried the fish base? I've been wondering if it would be good in a chowder or bisque.
Not yet, we don't get it here, but when we do, I will get it. I make my own stock too, but just a bit of this stuff adds such nice flavor! And it does make a nice gravy for 2.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #226
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

I like the beef for a cup of hot broth when I'm not exactly hungry, but would like something. Does me better than half a bag of potato chips.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #227
Chef Extraordinaire

If you mix chicken and beef stock together, you have Mock Veal Stock.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #228
Executive Chef

Quote:

my pleasure GG.i've got the best of kinks cd in the car.nearly worn it out now.brilliant band.
that jar of bouillon looks the business too...must keep me eyes peeled over here for some,probably won't find it tho'....you lot get all the good stuff!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #229
Sous Chef

I love the "better than bullion". It's flavor is better than powdered, and I just don't take the time to make home made, and can't justify the price of canned. I ALMOST bought canned when I made my tomato basil soup, but after comparing the price per serving, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The stock isn't the star in that kind of soup anyway, just adds a little flavor boost. I have other things to spend my money on unfortunately :/ I have $2300 squirreled away for a downpayment on a car. It was supposed to be my first ever decent car, but now I just signed up for school (I start August 27th!!), so I'm not going to be able to work as much as usual, and now I'm rethinking my plan for a nicer car. Students can get work done on their cars for just the cost of parts, so I'm going to see if they want a project lol. Transmission has been slipping for three years, but now it's getting worse (might be a good diagnostic project for the students), drips fluid from the transaxle, drips oil from the cylinder head, and if I get all that done, I'll probably be driving the stupid car for another 30,000, so I might even see if they'll paint the front clip. It must have been replaced some time before I bought the car, and the paint job wasn't as good as the original paint on the rest of the car, so it's faded to about 6 shades lighter than the rest. It's really a gem...
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #230
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I don't know what's wrong with you ppl!

"Bird" or "birds" has been Brit slang for women for years, probably decades. If the expression were to become popular in the US it would have happened years ago.

The band's name is not birds, it's The Byrds! They've got some good songs. I remember them when they hit the charts. The ones I remember best are Turn! Turn! Turn! (1965) and Mr. Tambourine Man (1965). Okay I know that many of you weren't born then...

The movie is The Birds (1965), directed by one of the greatest movie directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Suzanne Pleshette... The mood of this horror thriller was incredibly intense!!!

Re Birds as slang for women - only by the "older" generation who are stuck in a time warp. Call a modern woman a bird these days and you would probably be spitting most of your teeth out . Same with the racist Irish/ Scottish supposed phrases - not really used and would be considered insulting . Times have moved on somewhat .......just wanted to set the record straight .