Life's too short for chopping & mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
these are sooooooperb!!large juicy sweet roasted red peppers,even got a few bits of charred skin left sticking to them.i go through jars of them making roasted red pepper & tomato sauce.works out at 25% of the cost of buying the same number of fresh peppers & all the work is done.just as good as when i make them myself, but without all the palaver:cool:!

Attachments

• PEPPERS 002.jpg
    PEPPERS 002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 183
I had never roasted Red Peppers until just this year. I have a gas stove - so there is nothing to do but stand over them. Was wonderful. Much easier than I expected.

I had been buying jars of roasted RPs but if you don't use the whole jar right away.... they go mouldy and I can't stand that kind of waste!:mad:

I'm not a very good planner for the future. Very sporadic, see a recipe and want to make it right then and there... need a lot of supplies to do that... I have no idea what I have in my cupboards anymore :(.

I'll be in a store and see something and say "Wow, I just saw a recipe using that." I buy it and then can't find the recipe and have no idea what to do with it now.:ermm:

"arry, I love getting already roasted red peppers, but learned early on that they can go moldy quickly.

After using some once, I pour the rest is a zip baggie and freeze so I can use the rest as the occasion comes up.

I used to have the same problem but started buying the smaller jar that got used up in one recipe.

Andy, I was buying the smallest jars I could find. But cooking for one can be a challenge :ermm: with all those wonderful recipes I come across. I try to reduce a lot of them but sometimes it just doesn't work.

And so, of course, I end up eating the whole darn thing!!!!! :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

Andy, I was buying the smallest jars I could find. But cooking for one can be a challenge :ermm: with all those wonderful recipes I come across. I try to reduce a lot of them but sometimes it just doesn't work.

And so, of course, I end up eating the whole darn thing!!!!! :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

I understand. I went through a 'cooking for one' period in my life and it does present some problems. Maybe you could make a recipe for two and freeze half of it or eat it again in 2-3 days.

When I reduce a recipe to two (or sometimes 3) I try to serve the 3 plates right away. As soon as cooled, I pop them in the freezer.

Should I be distracted (or otherwise...)

so if I don't :mad: :mad:, I will have my supper :yum:, then the next one for a late snack :ermm:, hey! it was just sitting there on the counter cooling!!

so then the last one gets scarfed down for breakfast :ohmy:.

Did I tell you I have no self control???? :pig:

When I reduce a recipe to two (or sometimes 3) I try to serve the 3 plates right away. As soon as cooled, I pop them in the freezer.

Should I be distracted (or otherwise...)

so if I don't :mad: :mad:, I will have my supper :yum:, then the next one for a late snack :ermm:, hey! it was just sitting there on the counter cooling!!

so then the last one gets scarfed down for breakfast :ohmy:.

Did I tell you I have no self control???? :pig:

I'm beginning to get a clear picture.

You should stop telling people you are cooking for one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
never had a problem with them going mouldy,chaps.the cooks & co peppers that i buy are in "water,red wine vinegar,sea salt & grape must".not sure if that has anything to do with them not going mouldy,but i have stored an opened jar,in the fridge,for a month & they were just as fresh as the day i opened them.

never had a problem with them going mouldy,chaps.the cooks & co peppers that i buy are in "water,red wine vinegar,sea salt & grape must".not sure if that has anything to do with them not going mouldy,but i have stored an opened jar,in the fridge,for a month & they were just as fresh as the day i opened them.

That's a different liquid than the red peppers sold around here. The red wine and vinegar would preserve the contents. Do the peppers have a pickled flavor?

That's a different liquid than the red peppers sold around here. The red wine and vinegar would preserve the contents. Do the peppers have a pickled flavor?

We have both types here. The pickled ones are called roasted red pepper steaks - don't know why. You can taste the pickling liquid only lightly. I think it's mostly there as a preservative but you could use the liquid in a recipe, I suppose.

nope,not at all andy.it's red wine vinegar NOT red wine & vinegar,so much more mellow & smooth.they hardly taste any different to a "regular" home roasted pepper.just the faintest hint of acidity which makes them great for the dishes i cook with them.fabulous in salads & sandwiches too.brilliant product.really is one of those that i can't see the point of prepping my own.talking about points,that's another point:wacko:,they are the dolce rosso pointed peppers,which are far sweeter than the regular bells.on top of that,a huge cost saving over buying & prepping your own.winner winner pepper dinner mate!!

Last edited:
nope,not at all andy.it's red wine vinegar NOT red wine & vinegar,so much more mellow & smooth.they hardly taste any different to a "regular" home roasted pepper.just the faintest hint of acidity which makes them great for the dishes i cook with them.fabulous in salads & sandwiches too.brilliant product.really is one of those that i can't see the point of prepping my own.talking about points,that's another point:wacko:,they are the dolce rosso pointed peppers,which are far sweeter than the regular bells.on top of that,a huge cost saving over buying & prepping your own.winner winner pepper dinner mate!!
I can endorse what H says and yes, they don't go mouldy. I 've had a part jar in my fridge for a couple of months and no mould.

I like roasted red peppers too, but they do get moldy quickly.

Now, when I open the jar, I pour the rest into a zip bag and freeze it flat so I can just break off as much as I need.

I wonder if, after opening the jar, adding a bit of vinegar to the liquid in of the North American peppers would prevent the mould.

I wonder if, after opening the jar, adding a bit of vinegar to the liquid in of the North American peppers would prevent the mould.
worth a pop,tax!!i mean,if they were going to go mouldy anyway,what's the worst that can happen?they go mouldy.i would recommend using the red wine vinegar tho'.i have a sneaking suspicion that the grape must has more to do with it then meets the eye.steve kroll would be the chap to ask,as he is the"wine king" & grape must is a byproduct of wine making.

...i would recommend using the red wine vinegar tho'.i have a sneaking suspicion that the grape must has more to do with it then meets the eye.steve kroll would be the chap to ask,as he is the"wine king" & grape must is a byproduct of wine making.

I suspect the acidity the vinegar adds is the secret. Any vinegar will do. Red wine vinegar may add the best flavor for the peppers.

I suspect the acidity the vinegar adds is the secret. Any vinegar will do. Red wine vinegar may add the best flavor for the peppers.
roger that andy.that's what i was alluding to.red wine vinegar & red peppers just seem to be best friends.see that combo a lot in greek,spanish & portuguese dishes that use red peppers.

Back
Top Bottom