Life's too short for chopping & mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I have heard shocking things about artificial sweeteners, never use them and never will

I'm critical of artificial sweeteners from a behavioral point of view too. They're training your body and your cravings to do the wrong thing. It's better to condition yourself to enjoy healthy foods than to eat a bunch of chemical substitutes.

Oops, somebody got me started. I know people who drink a dozen soft drinks per day, or more.

/rant

I actually dont drink soft drink, unless I have it as a mixer with a spirit.

I prefer to drink water :)

Way too much sugar in soft drinks :rolleyes:

The stuff in Oz might not be as scary ;)

I really appreciate the fact that I can use one teaspoon, or a few drops without opening an entire lemon or lime. It's also cheaper than making my own organic lemon or lime juice and the lemons and limes in the bottled juice were ripe when they were juiced. When you live as far north as Montreal, citrus is shipped before it is ripe, so it won't be over ripe when it arrives. The only drawback is that I have to remember to buy an organic lemon or lime if I want some of the zest. Here in NA, they dye citrus fruits with carcinogenic dyes that aren't allowed in foods.
I freeze the rest of the juice in ice cube trays. I detest bottled lime or lemon juice.

Jars of Hollandaise? I can only wonder what abomination of chemicals they added to stabilize it. (Read that Ratio cooking theory book.)
there ye go greg just xantham & guar gums to thicken/stabilise.both natural ingredients & i believe the latest "wonder ingredient" for our molecular gastronomy gastronauts.the fact that both have been about for decades seems to have eluded them:ermm::ohmy::LOL:.i use the maille hollandaise & their mustards....could do without the potassium sorbate but,you don't eat hollandaise every day & it's pretty well down the list of ingredients so relatively small amount.
bolas & i overwinter our potato & other root crops in brown paper sacks & the supermarkets here supply b/paper bags for spuds too....you shoulda patented the idea bud!!
Maille: mustards, vinegars, recipes... The all Maille !

bolas & i overwinter our potato & other root crops in brown paper sacks & the supermarkets here supply b/paper bags for spuds too....you shoulda patented the idea bud!!
Maille: mustards, vinegars, recipes... The all Maille !
A few years ago, the Ontario government decided brown paper bags were detrimental to one's health. The only store that still gives out brown paper bags is the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). I stock up on brown paper bags when I visit my folks in MN. We store our carrots and beets buried in sawdust (one of the side benefits of having a sawmill). I also use it for the endive we pull up in the fall and force during the winter.

A few years ago, the Ontario government decided brown paper bags were detrimental to one's health. The only store that still gives out brown paper bags is the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). I stock up on brown paper bags when I visit my folks in MN. We store our carrots and beets buried in sawdust (one of the side benefits of having a sawmill). I also use it for the endive we pull up in the fall and force during the winter.
a sawmill? oh fantastic cw! bet your bbq & smoking tastes pretty good too.there's an ancient technique of root storage in sand called clamping over here which i'm sure you guy's do too,so sawdust sounds like an ideal variation on that theme for you plus you know the provenance & quality of both the root & the storage material.
the only sawdust we produce is when we chainsaw & split logs for the winter fireplace/smoker @ bolas's....sadly not enough for clamping so it's back to the paper sacks.

I'm critical of artificial sweeteners from a behavioral point of view too. They're training your body and your cravings to do the wrong thing. It's better to condition yourself to enjoy healthy foods than to eat a bunch of chemical substitutes.

Oops, somebody got me started. I know people who drink a dozen soft drinks per day, or more.

/rant
Absolutely.

Do you know that they have done tests of people trying to lose weight who used artificial sweeteners vs people not using them? People who used the artificial sweeteners don't lose weight as fast.

You confuse your body's feedback system.

Sweet - gotta up the insulin. Oops, there wasn't any sugar.
Sweet - won't up the insulin, it might be that fake stuff.

a sawmill? oh fantastic cw!
It is nice to have. The DH designed it and built it (it is a bandsaw -- runs off of electricity. It can handle 12 ft logs up to 30" in diameter). He has a machine shop (besides all those initials after his name). The birch floor that I finished earlier this summer was one of the sawmill projects. As were the oak cabinets in the bathroom...the maple floor in one of the spare bedrooms...the trim, doors, and lots of other things. And yes, when I want a cedar plank, I grab a piece of slab wood and soak it...need chips? Got those too.

It is nice to have. The DH designed it and built it (it is a bandsaw -- runs off of electricity. It can handle 12 ft logs up to 30" in diameter). He has a machine shop (besides all those initials after his name). The birch floor that I finished earlier this summer was one of the sawmill projects. As were the oak cabinets in the bathroom...the maple floor in one of the spare bedrooms...the trim, doors, and lots of other things. And yes, when I want a cedar plank, I grab a piece of slab wood and soak it...need chips? Got those too.
all that & chickens too....paradise:)

I actually dont drink soft drink, unless I have it as a mixer with a spirit.

I prefer to drink water :)

Way too much sugar in soft drinks :rolleyes:

I too drink mostly water, or wine with dinner. No soft drinks. I don't have a sweet tooth.

I freeze the rest of the juice in ice cube trays. I detest bottled lime or lemon juice.

I've done exactly that. Ingredients: lemon. That's it.

Tip: Measure a specific amount, perhaps a tablespoon, and pour it into one of the sections of the ice cube tray. Then fill up the rest of the sections to the same level. Result: You have a tray full of all the same measurement lemon juice cubes. (Well there'll be one that's the runt of the litter.)

Last edited:
I typically do 1T cubes, but have another tray that is smaller (I'll have to measure the amount for that one...). I do this with grapefruit juice as well. I buy citrus just for the sole purpose of making ice cubes out of them.

Harry, I agree with you: there are some prepared products out there that are better commercially made. My belief is, "never make at home what you can find better already made". My choice is Barilla Pesto sauce.

That's funny, my belief is "if you make it yourself at home it will always be better than something out of a bottle." :)

I hear (from the book Ratio) that home made mayonnaise is incredibly better than store bought mayonnaise. Does anybody care to comment on that?

Mayo is alot better made at home , but it is not very common because it is so easy to buy it in a store and homemade goes bad really fast. The one thing that I refuse to buy premade other than chopped garlic or onions is stocks. It takes a little work but my freezers are full of frozen stocks, I might be weird but save all my bones, seafood shells , celery tops ect and spend weekends making and freezing different stocks. I find that the extra effort is worth it in the end and I can cusomize different stocks just like I want it.

Mayo is alot better made at home , but it is not very common because it is so easy to buy it in a store and homemade goes bad really fast. The one thing that I refuse to buy premade other than chopped garlic or onions is stocks. It takes a little work but my freezers are full of frozen stocks, I might be weird but save all my bones, seafood shells , celery tops ect and spend weekends making and freezing different stocks. I find that the extra effort is worth it in the end and I can cusomize different stocks just like I want it.
I find that mayo keeps about 5 days. I use one yolk, about 3/4 c olive oil, juice from one lemon, and a bit of mustard, S&P. Besides keeping the stuff you've mentioned, I also keep the water (not all the time, but often enough!) from the veggies I steam. At this time of year, I'm blanching a lot of veggies, so have more veggie juice than I need. I also use the carrot tops (if I don't feed them to the chickens). And, the onion skins--toss those in a zippie, freeze, and add to stock. And, if I don't feed it to the hens, I keep the pulp when I juice veggies. This also goes in the freezer for stock/soup in the winter.

That's funny, my belief is "if you make it yourself at home it will always be better than something out of a bottle." :)

I hear (from the book Ratio) that home made mayonnaise is incredibly better than store bought mayonnaise. Does anybody care to comment on that?

When I was in Jr. High and in the Home Ec. class, we had some VIPs visiting. They were determining if the Home Ec. class was worth the expense. We made mayo and served it with a salad for their lunch. They were so impressed and the Home Ec. class stayed in the curriculum. We also served homemade tomato soup with the salad. Raves for both foods. But mostly for the mayo. :chef:

When I was in Jr. High and in the Home Ec. class, we had some VIPs visiting. They were determining if the Home Ec. class was worth the expense. We made mayo and served it with a salad for their lunch. They were so impressed and the Home Ec. class stayed in the curriculum. We also served homemade tomato soup with the salad. Raves for both foods. But mostly for the mayo. :chef:
I gotta swear by homemade mayo--BUT I also have to say with fresh eggs, it is even better! And so easy to do. I can hardly wait for the tomatoes...homemade mayo on homemade ww bread topped with a garden fresh tomato, some chopped fresh basil from the garden....yum, yum, yum.

Last edited:
Harry, I agree with you: there are some prepared products out there that are better commercially made. My belief is, "never make at home what you can find better already made". My choice is Barilla Pesto sauce.
ah,at last,the voice of reason z:chef:!
i don't want to introduce a serious note(wot 'arry cobean serious...bleedin' 'ell) anyone who has seen my photo's of what i cook knows that i cook just about everything from scratch.the whole point of me starting this thread was that SOMETIMES when the devil drives & time dictates there are some excellent,totally/largely natural ingredients/sauces/substitutes out there that fit the bill perfectly well.
right,that's all,let battle re-commence:LOL:!

I also use a jarred pasta sauce, most of the time...Bertolli's...it's just as good as mine and no odd ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom