"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-18-2005, 12:43 PM   #11
Everymom

You apparently should use it on your face once a week too. Smear it on then slap a hot facecloth on it for a minute. Then wipe off.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Smear, slap, and wipe...roflmao! Just funny to hear when you are talking about your face! Maybe it's just me...

Old 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Just thought I would toss this tidbit in for y'all. My dermatologist gave these recipes a big thumbs up. Apparently, vaseline is the best thing you can do for chapped skin. It has the fewest chemicals in it, so it is the best for you to use.
Thanks Alix that's great to know!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

This is a little late, but I'm new here...

For another base other than a petroleum by-product, use coconut oil. There are two kinds--one melts at body temperature, the other lower. warm til it melts and add essential oils (be careful, use sparingly), or steep herbs in it and strain. It will re-solidify when cool. If you want to carry it in your pocket, add in some beeswax or it will melt and run all over.

Goes on like silk, has lots of EFA's that are good for sensitive skin. Herbs to steep include rosemary, chamomile (the best), sandalwood, and calendula. Try a drop each of lemon and lime essential oils per ounce of coco oil for something really yummy.

You can also use full-fat coconut milk (from a can is fine)as a bath additive or lotion if your skin is dry and irritated.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #15
Hospitality Queen

Nannsi - talk about a plethora of knowledge on the subject! Great info!!! Thanks!

and welcome to the site, btw :)
Old 08-31-2005, 10:59 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

(Notice--this is a JOKE!!!) Since chapped lips are often brought on by licking the lips, I always heard that the best thing for chapped lips is chicken poop. You will never lick your lips again!

Barbara
Old 08-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Since chapped lips are often brought on by licking the lips
True, but oddly I've found that frequently kissing my hubby is one of the best ways to keep my lips moist (lol)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:36 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICadvisor
...frequently kissing my hubby...
Not if you use my chapped lips remedy!

BTW, I really liked the recipes for home made lip balms. I go through a lot of Chapstick, so I will have to try these.

Barbara