Making Kettlecorn in a wok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I've recently begun making popcorn in a wok and have been experimenting with various oils, temps and even varieties of kernels. I'm ready to try kettlecorn (salty/sweet) but am concerned that the sugar is going to burn and wreck my pan.

Has anyone ever tried this? Any advice?

Are you using a carbon-steel wok? I would think even if you got a little burnt sugar you could just soak the wok in hot water for 20-30 minutes without any damage.

I am using an ancient and well seasoned carbon steel wok BUT I've had so much fun doing this I've just ordered a new and smaller wok (lighter weight). My old wok is almost 15 inches and very heavy to manage. I'm finding that I want to flip the contents more than usual with popcorn to control heat and it's awfully heavy...

Waiting for the new 12 inch model to arrive...

Try making it using real maple syrup!

Take a heavy pan and cover the bottom of it with oil, add a 1/2 cup of popping corn, when the corn starts popping quickly drizzle in 2 T of real maple syrup, cover and shake the pot until all of the corn has stopped popping, salt and serve.

I suppose it would not hurt to drizzle a little melted chocolate on the finished product, let it cool before serving. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've recently begun making popcorn in a wok and have been experimenting with various oils, temps and even varieties of kernels. I'm ready to try kettlecorn (salty/sweet) but am concerned that the sugar is going to burn and wreck my pan.

Has anyone ever tried this? Any advice?

Aunt Bea's idea got me thinking.It's a little early for that around here.
Here goes anyways.It's just an idea.I'd hate to see your nice wok get ruined because I'm tired.

Since you've been trying various oils and such.How about trying Pure Maple Balsamic Vinegar?
People use it in baking,glazing,marinades,dressings.

Well, why not use it for popcorn? It already has the oil.If it's sweet enough to drizzle over ice cream and fruit to it might work. I think the only thing you would have to watch is the heat.

**As a disclaimer (saving my booty) here.Haven't tried it myself as a marinade.If people use it for that without it sticking to the grill and making bacon with it.It might not stick to your wok.

I'd be interested to know out how it turns out.Good luck!

Munky.

Just curious - Pure Maple Balsamic Vinegar has oil in it? It sounds like it's balsamic vinegar flavored with maple syrup.

It is a balsamic vinegar.Except its a first of it's kind aged pure maple balsamic using real 100% pure maple from Vermont.

She did say she was using different oils to.I use butter olive oil when I make popcorn. Prefer it lately as a butter substitute.

I just haven't had the chance to order the maple yet.

Munky.

An update... my new wok arrived and I am in love! I ordered a 12 inch 1.2mm Yamada wok. It's light weight and wonderfully balanced. here's a pic (before seasoning)

yamada.jpg

I seasoned it up and got busy with the popcorn experiments. Hands down the best tasting popcorn (and best texture) was made with unrefined coconut oil. It's luscious!

Kettle corn was a lot trickier and while I was able to get decent tasting kettle corn - I'd have to say it's not worth the trouble. Even with a lid and well controlled temps the sugar turns to a scalding hot mist that burns, sticks to everything and generally turns a fun experience into a hassle. Now I know why those kettle corn guys at the fair are wearing protective gear. My final recipe for kettlekorn was:

1/4 C coconut oil
1/2 C popcorn (mushroom kernel)
2 TBls sugar
1 tsp salt

Heat oil, add corn, just when corn begins to op, add sugar and salt, stir quickly and slap lid on. Shake for all your worth for a few seconds and remove lid. DON'T let any steam build up as it makes the popcorn sticky.

On the bright side - I now have a fabulous new wok and can make the worlds best popcorn in about 30 seconds :)

That is a beautiful wok!

Shame about the kettlecorn, maybe that's one that should be left to the pros, unless you enjoy cleaning up burnt sugar.

Beautiful wok.

The best I can do with kettle corn is use the stuff in the bag for microwave. Am thinking it was Orville Reddenbacher.

Back
Top Bottom