"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Head Chef

Marmite

After a dozen years of wanting to try Vegemite, and reading about it and its similar competitors, I tried Marmite last night. (And lived to see today )
It could be considered I guess a condiment, or a nutritional supplement.
I ended up with 6 little jars, hoping that I'll like it. The serving size is 1/2 teaspoon and with the strong flavors, the serving size makes sense.
I had read about how great and how horrible this stuff has been reviewed so I had to try it for myself.
I toasted bread, buttered it and then 'scraped' some on top using very little. You can't consider it 'spread', 'scraped' is more appropriate.
It was salty and it had an interesting taste. It lingered long after swallowing, a back of the tongue rich kind of flavor. Reminded me of a very dark roasted beef gravy flavor, but not exactly. Now I understand why people say it's an acquired taste, because it's distinctive and you either love it or hate it.
Has anyone else tried this? (I didn't grow up with it.) ~Bliss

Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I love the stuff and spread it on (no scraping), it makes nice hot drinks too.
Vegamite is great also, I love em both, but it`s much harder to spread.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Head Chef

YT--how do you make a hot drink with it? TIA Bliss
Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Hi Blissful

I was brought up on Vegemite, like most aussie kids (ask any australian there is a song from an tv advertisement years ago, but I won't put you through the agony of me singing it!).

Marmite is a little sweeter and not quite as strong as Vegemite but it is a great source of vitamin B and iron. It depends on your taste buds as to how thick you spread it. I like it thinly spread.

My grandma used to pour hot water from the kettle straight over the top and we would wait for it to melt and it was like a beef broth.

A couple of suggestions:

Vegemite and cheese sandwiches
Margarine and vegemite on a hot bread stick
A favourite after a big night out - two pieces of bread toasted with vegemite, whole egg mayo and topped with salad.
Lebanese bread buttered and spread with vegemite sprinkled with grated cheese, rolled up and put in the breville for a few minutes until cheese has melted.

Hope this helps.
Cath
Old 06-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I really have to try this stuff. I have been wanting to for a while, but just never have. Next time I see it I am going to buy some.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath4420 View Post
Hi Blissful

I was brought up on Vegemite, like most aussie kids (ask any australian there is a song from an tv advertisement years ago, but I won't put you through the agony of me singing it!).

Marmite is a little sweeter and not quite as strong as Vegemite but it is a great source of vitamin B and iron. It depends on your taste buds as to how thick you spread it. I like it thinly spread.

My grandma used to pour hot water from the kettle straight over the top and we would wait for it to melt and it was like a beef broth.

A couple of suggestions:

Vegemite and cheese sandwiches
Margarine and vegemite on a hot bread stick
A favourite after a big night out - two pieces of bread toasted with vegemite, whole egg mayo and topped with salad.
Lebanese bread buttered and spread with vegemite sprinkled with grated cheese, rolled up and put in the breville for a few minutes until cheese has melted.

Hope this helps.
Cath
I would have liked to hear you sing it Cath.

Thank you for ALL the information and suggestions. I'm going to be trying it out this week-end some more. The girls at work told me I wouldn't have to 'coerce' (sp?) them into trying it so I'm bringing it to work Monday with bread and butter. ~Bliss
Old 06-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I really have to try this stuff. I have been wanting to for a while, but just never have. Next time I see it I am going to buy some.
GB, that's how I ended up waiting a dozen years--I couldn't find it anywhere (though I stay home a lot.) I found it on amazon.com when I was ordering some computer hardware. Good luck and I hope you find some soon. ~Bliss
Old 06-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Senior Cook

If you are finding it hard, pm me and I will send you both a small jar of vegemite each. My family sends it over to our cousin in San Francisco every so often. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Cath! That is a very sweet offer. I know my market carries either vegemite or marmite (can't remember which), but it was so nice of you to offer to send some. That is what I love about this site. People genuinley want to help each other. It is not just words. You do not find that at very many places.

Is vege and marmite the types of things that last forever or do they have to be used up in a certain amount of time?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Would ingestion of this increase the possibility of an over abundance of bad yeast in the body or would it have no effect?